Who were Abraham Lincoln's Civil War Kin ????

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Zella

2nd Lieutenant
We know Mary had several relatives in Confederate service, but what about him ? I suspect he may have had some on BOTH sides. Lets see what we can come up with. I read somewhere that there was an "Abraham Lincoln" in a Confederate unit and that he later deserted. I'd like to see that data on him just for grins.
I'm curious about this as well but must confess I've never heard about anyone else's in his family's Civil War service.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
We know Mary had several relatives in Confederate service, but what about him ? I suspect he may have had some on BOTH sides. Lets see what we can come up with. I read somewhere that there was an "Abraham Lincoln" in a Confederate unit and that he later deserted. I'd like to see that data on him just for grins.
It was a while but Lincoln had a cousin named Abraham Lincoln who served in the Confederate Army. I forget the source but most of Lincoln's kin in Kentucky fought for the Confederacy. Most likely a contemporary biographical author of Lincoln or a Lincoln scholar would know. The Lincoln Library should know or know a source.
From what I recall there were quite a few Lincoln's in Kentucky and only one rose to the top and the others were born poor and died poor.
Leftyhunter

Putting this here to find again later. Recently discovered this site after years of independent research. Family lore says yes, but need to compare modern online genealogy to our 1977-present family research before committing to yes.
I can offer a solid maybe until a few more facts are confirmed or denied.

From my grandmother’s pre-internet research:

“”If Nancy Elizabeth Hanks Lincoln actually is a daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Wyatt Hanks (the date and place of her birth certainly fit) and it was known by the family from the beginning, by the time they were consulted by researchers these or other similar theories were deeply entrenched in folklore. They could offer no documentation so remained silent when it was denied. Other relatives lived in close proximity to the Lincolns and in stories told became “her family,” separated as she was from her own. Dennis Hanks (who lived nearby) possibly should have known the truth, but quite probably did not. Lincoln may not have known his roots, but surely would want his mother’s name cleared out of devotion to her in the in the interest of truth. Possibly time will tell.””

[editor’s note] So before I dig further into this rabbit hole, can anyone speak to her original premise?

“If Nancy Elizabeth Hanks Lincoln actually is a daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Wyatt Hanks (the date and place of her birth certainly fit)”

DixieRifles

Captain
We know Mary had several relatives in Confederate service, but what about him ? I suspect he may have had some on BOTH sides. Lets see what we can come up with.
There is a website FamousKin that has researched many famous people, such as Presidents, actors, murderers, etc. They give the family group, their pedigree tree and famous descendants .
I don't know if this would answer any question whether any of his relatives served in the Confederacy but you can start with his tree.

Menu for President Lincoln

Family Tree for President Lincoln -- Notice his Mother was a HANKS which explains why he is related to Tom Hanks---the modern actor.

Thank you DixieRifles! I can finally put a nail in the coffin, bury this bit of family lore, and get on with releasing the letters on their own merit. There's no relation between R. V. Marshall and Abraham Lincoln. Nancy Elizabeth Hanks Lincoln wasn't the daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Wyatt Hanks.

My grandmother spent 25 years chasing this answer all over the U.S. It would have been unfathomable to her at the time to simply sit in the living room and pull up the answer. We live in fascinating times.