Who was the only female to be awarded the Medal of Honor for the Civil War?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Here is her stamp. Any thoughts about the added image added to the set of stamps? I seen this at an antique store and it was in a 50% off booth. Being a "uniform" kind of guy I just had to buy it. What "uniform" is she wearing? A brown or butternut Union uniform? One would think she was a Confederate. I wonder where the artist got the inspiration for her uniform. Despite a possible question of the uniform I still like the image.
Walker.png

I have not researched her and just assumed the description on the back of this uniform plate/stamp sheet is accurate. It states she received the Medal of Honor in 1865 for being a battlefield surgeon who when beyond the call of duty. Because only people in the US military receive the Medal of Honor was she officially recognized as a "soldier" as opposed to a civilian contract surgeon? Perhaps some forum member will give us the information.

Mary Walker, a native of Oswego County, NY.

She was a civilian surgeon and not attached to any regiment.

Her MoH was given in recognition of her service to the Union war effort because she couldn’t be given a rank of brevet. It was stripped in a cull of Medals of Honor in 1917 (the cull included several hundred medals given to the 9 month 27th Maine for staying beyond their terms of service), but hers was restored in 1977.

Her MoH was given in recognition of her service to the Union war effort because she couldn’t be given a rank of brevet. It was stripped in a cull of Medals of Honor in 1917 (the cull included several hundred medals given to the 9 month 27th Maine for staying beyond their terms of service), but hers was restored in 1977.
Thank you for clearing this up for us. So does she still deserves to get a stamp? I am not sure what warrants one to get a stamp. Being a "uniform" kind of person I purchased this because of the artist painting of a brown jacket with green skirt. Because she wears her MoH can I assume the artist depicted her at the time she was awarded the MoH? Well in the nd this was in the 1/2 off booth so I guess I can say I got my money's worth.

When Sherman destroyed the mills supplying the Confederate military in Roswell and sent all the female employees and their children North, it was Mary Walker who placed most of these women in boarding houses in Indiana and the Louisville, KY area and found them employment. At the end of the War some of the women returned South while others chose to remain in the North.

Thank you for clearing this up for us. So does she still deserves to get a stamp? I am not sure what warrants one to get a stamp. Being a "uniform" kind of person I purchased this because of the artist painting of a brown jacket with green skirt. Because she wears her MoH can I assume the artist depicted her at the time she was awarded the MoH? Well in the nd this was in the 1/2 off booth so I guess I can say I got my money's worth.
Only female recipient of the Medal of Honor. Despite the medal not being given for "modern reasons" (honestly, a large number of Civil War MoH fall into this bucket), it's still a recognition of her contributions.

Should the artis hsve used this image to base their painting to go with the stamps?
Dr. Walker was 33 years old when she was awarded the Medal of Honor in November 1865 by President Andrew Johnson. She is much too young looking on the USPS stamp that depicts her wearing the MOH. From what I've read of her, Walker wore he hair long but tightly braided behind her head during the Civil War. It wasn't until the post-war years that she cut her hair short. Below is a photo of her in the time period that she received the MOH from President Johnson.

Mary Walker 2.jpg

The following excerpt explains Dr Walker's attire.

During her work as a surgeon in the war, Walker often crossed battle lines to care for soldiers and civilians. In April of 1864, Walker had just finished helping a Confederate doctor with a surgery when she was captured by Confederate troops as a spy. She was held as a prisoner of war for four months. While imprisoned, she refused to wear the women’s clothes provided to her. She wore men’s clothes her entire life because they were more comfortable and hygienic. She even wore pants under her skirt at her wedding. Walker was released from prison in August of 1864 and became the assistant surgeon of the Ohio 52nd​ Infantry a month later. After the war, Walker was awarded the Presidential Medal of Honor by President Andrew Johnson. A few years later, Walker published a book called Hit in 1871.

In addition to her work with the army, she began to advocate for women’s rights. She famously wore pants and advocated for “dress reform.” She was arrested in New Orleans in 1870 because she was dressed like a man. Walker responded by saying, "I don't wear men's clothes, I wear my own clothes."

https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/mary-edwards-walker

The following excerpt explains Dr Walker's attire.

During her work as a surgeon in the war, Walker often crossed battle lines to care for soldiers and civilians. In April of 1864, Walker had just finished helping a Confederate doctor with a surgery when she was captured by Confederate troops as a spy. She was held as a prisoner of war for four months. While imprisoned, she refused to wear the women’s clothes provided to her. She wore men’s clothes her entire life because they were more comfortable and hygienic. She even wore pants under her skirt at her wedding. Walker was released from prison in August of 1864 and became the assistant surgeon of the Ohio 52nd​ Infantry a month later. After the war, Walker was awarded the Presidential Medal of Honor by President Andrew Johnson. A few years later, Walker published a book called Hit in 1871.

In addition to her work with the army, she began to advocate for women’s rights. She famously wore pants and advocated for “dress reform.” She was arrested in New Orleans in 1870 because she was dressed like a man. Walker responded by saying, "I don't wear men's clothes, I wear my own clothes."

https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/mary-edwards-walker

Dr. Walker had female admirers who loved her "casual" outfits. However, one of her more ardent supporters she worked with warned the doctor that she would continue receiving backlash from the male doctors and surgeons unless she changed some aspects of her personal hygiene:

“Madam, I very much like your style of dress and would be glad to see it generally adopted. You have done a great deal to bring it before the attention of the ladies, but excuse my frankness – you have in some respects injured the reform cause. Shall I be candid? You have done harm by some of your habits which are not considered proper, at least in England. It is painful to enter into particulars but it will be serving you by telling you plainly. Perhaps you are not aware that your untidy hair, unwashed face, and dirty hands are more frequently noticed than is pleasant. Nose picking and nail biting are more objectionable still. This and other things are said of you without your knowing it and you would do well to avoid it.
Faithfully yours,
Rosa Sprig"
https://doctordoctress.org/islandora/object/islandora:1494/story/islandora:1532#page/1/mode/2up

I had never heard of her before and now surprised that a nurse other than the famed Clara Barton would have such an honor bestowed.
Lubliner.
That's because, unlike Mary, Clara wasn't a nag who hounded and pestered the authorities demanding that she be "recognized" for her service!
I have not researched her and just assumed the description on the back of this uniform plate/stamp sheet is accurate. It states she received the Medal of Honor in 1865 for being a battlefield surgeon who when beyond the call of duty. Because only people in the US military receive the Medal of Honor was she officially recognized as a "soldier" as opposed to a civilian contract surgeon? Perhaps some forum member will give us the information.
That's only one reason hers was rescinded, until do-gooders in our modern, enlightened age demanded it be "restored".

Mary's costume was self-designed and not dissimilar from the contemporary one habitually worn by the famous/notorious womens' rights activist Amelia Bloomer. Of course it's also similar in style (though not in color) to those of the vivandieres in the French army of the period we've discussed here before. Mary's doctor "uniform" as seen in photos was likely navy blue or black, not brown. With Mary, you can't be sure of time frames to determine when her photos were made because she tended to wear the same style, INCLUDING sporting the medal like it was a brooch.
When Sherman destroyed the mills supplying the Confederate military in Roswell and sent all the female employees and their children North, it was Mary Walker who placed most of these women in boarding houses in Indiana and the Louisville, KY area and found them employment. At the end of the War some of the women returned South while others chose to remain in the North.
According to items I've seen here on the forums, the inmates HATED the guts of Mary who likely mistreated them because they were ardent Southerners.

Unfortunately, there will likely never be a consensus of opinion at this distance about Mary Walker. She has been embraced by the Liberals as a Feminist heroine and icon for all sorts of causes that have nothing to do with her actual service. As you can tell, I take a very jaundiced view of her, mainly based on an unfavorable biography in an old issue of Civil War Times Illustrated that pointed out what a pain in the rear she could be. According to it, she was likely "awarded" the MOH - which as you should remember was both the ONLY medal available at the time and lacking in the stature it has subsequently achieved - mainly to shut up her carping and whining!

According to items I've seen here on the forums, the inmates HATED the guts of Mary who likely mistreated them because they were ardent Southerners.

Unfortunately, there will likely never be a consensus of opinion at this distance about Mary Walker. She has been embraced by the Liberals as a Feminist heroine and icon for all sorts of causes that have nothing to do with her actual service. As you can tell, I take a very jaundiced view of her, mainly based on an unfavorable biography in an old issue of Civil War Times Illustrated that pointed out what a pain in the rear she could be. According to it, she was likely "awarded" the MOH - which as you should remember was both the ONLY medal available at the time and lacking in the stature it has subsequently achieved - mainly to shut up her carping and whining!
She was captured in Tennessee on April 10, 1864, dressed in her usual male attire and charged as a spy after crossing Confederate lines and helping a Confederate surgeon perform an amputation. She was sent to Castle Thunder in Richmond and refused to wear the women's clothing the prison provided her and was finally exchanged for a Confederate medical officer on August 12, 1864. I'll bet the prison's commandant couldn't get rid of her fast enough.

That's because, unlike Mary, Clara wasn't a nag who hounded and pestered the authorities demanding that she be "recognized" for her service!

That's only one reason hers was rescinded, until do-gooders in our modern, enlightened age demanded it be "restored".

Mary's costume was self-designed and not dissimilar from the contemporary one habitually worn by the famous/notorious womens' rights activist Amelia Bloomer. Of course it's also similar in style (though not in color) to those of the vivandieres in the French army of the period we've discussed here before. Mary's doctor "uniform" as seen in photos was likely navy blue or black, not brown. With Mary, you can't be sure of time frames to determine when her photos were made because she tended to wear the same style, INCLUDING sporting the medal like it was a brooch.

I don't think one article in Civil War Times Illustrated is where your vitriol really comes from.

James N. I have the back issues for 1962-1982 in these magazines. If it is within this spread and you know which one (date) could you share it? Thanks,
Lubliner.
I have read that somewhere as well how she was given the medal mainly to shut her up. She more or less demanded the medal then flat refused to return it when the medal was revoked.
Unfortunately I don't remember how long ago it was. I have most of the back issues as far back as the original tabloids ca., 1959; naturally they tend to run together somewhat! I have only the very first index for CWTI which covers 1962-67, and unfortunately they're mostly somewhat stored away though accessible IF I know better when I saw something. As I recall the article was titled Mary Walker - Surgeon Or Sideshow Freak? Along with one of her typical wartime photos it featured one of her sillier-looking portraits, as an old lady attired in men's evening dress - including a top hat she was holding in one hand! - displaying the MOH pinned to her chest. This was taken sometime in the early Twentieth Century and well after her right to it had been revoked.

Last edited:
Back