Who was that Guy?

Klink

Private
This balding Lieutenant eventually promoted to Major General was the highest ranking AOP commander to lead troops in every one of the AOP's (and its antecedents) major battles. He survived the war unscarred.

Where was he born?

Roy:

Close but no Stogie. Old Goggle Eyes first saw action in the Peninslas Campaign with the Pa Reserves. Commander does not necessarily mean the Lead Dog of the Army.

Though, I am a big fan of THE OSU in Columbus, I love the Big Hogs up front for the Badgers, Tough loss to the Red Raiders. I thought you would score a lot more.

What about William "Baldy" Smith? Born in Vermont.

Fish. Ambrose served in the West and the Tarheel State, missing all AOP Campaigns in '63 post the Mud March as well as the Post Crater (What a Fiasco? - At least in the Mud March nobody, or few, got killed!) events in'64 and 65.

Vermont. Baldy was with the AOP and its antecents through Fredericksburg and next shows up with Grant out West. Came back to the East with Sam for all '64 and 65' activities.

Hint. This son of the Empire State never rose higher than Divisional Command, which he attained, Twice!

Avenger:

Very, very, very close and arguably acceptable, but our guy got the Major General during the War, General Bartlett got his post war.

Also a question about Manassas 2, where his guys were in Reserve. I woud argue that would be acceptable, however.

Avenger:

Very, very, very close and arguably acceptable, but our guy got the Major General during the War, General Bartlett got his post war.

Also a question about Manassas 2, where his guys were in Reserve. I woud argue that would be acceptable, however.
I kind of figured,to much hair. I going to cheat later if there's not an answer beforehand.

Avenger"

Abe, telling his advisors that the Virginian could wait. could only appreciate America's most famous Rock until Marciano. MG George Henry Thomas from Newsom's depot, Virginia rests in his wife's hometown.

Avenger"

Abe, telling his advisors that the Virginian could wait. could only appreciate America's most famous Rock until Marciano. MG George Henry Thomas from Newsom's depot, Virginia rests in his wife's hometown.
General Thomas does rest at Oakmont, but he is outranked by General John Ellis Wool.

Avenger:

Wool's Stone is certainly bigger than the Virginian, but I thought they were both Major Generals! Am I misinformed?

Avenger:

Wool's Stone is certainly bigger than the Virginian, but I thought they were both Major Generals! Am I misinformed?
Time in grade. General Wool was a Major General at the beginning of the War. The obelisk for General Wool is impressive but the sculpting work by Launitz on General Thomas's tomb is more so,in my humble opinion.

Avenger:

Tecnicality Schnecnicality.

Sounds like Woods might have served with John Burns!

Any luck with "Who was that Guy?"?

Avenger:

Tecnicality Schnecnicality.

Sounds like Woods might have served with John Burns!

Any luck with "Who was that Guy?"?
No, I'm stumped,a nice review of New York Generals service though. Gen. Wesley Merritt came the closest to meeting your criteria I believe. I still like my first pick and that was off the cuff.

Avenger:

As you appeasr to be the only Playah, this is my answer

East Creek, New york's own, a son of a Doctor, Romeyn E Ayres, born in 1825, Nine Years earlier and 115 miles north of Joe Bartlett. Like Bartlett Ayres was in reserve at Secon Manassas.

Avenger I' m told there were about five such guys that were there from start to finish in the Officer Corps. Would be interested in learning of others, if they exist.

Avenger:

As you appeasr to be the only Playah, this is my answer

East Creek, New york's own, a son of a Doctor, Romeyn E Ayres, born in 1825, Nine Years earlier and 115 miles north of Joe Bartlett. Like Bartlett Ayres was in reserve at Secon Manassas.

Avenger I' m told there were about five such guys that were there from start to finish in the Officer Corps. Would be interested in learning of others, if they exist.
OH OH! Inquiry!,was General Aryes at the Second Battle of Rappahannock Station.I had passed on Gen. Ayres as he was detailed to quell the N.Y. City riots.

Avenger:

My impression was always that the period between Gettysburg was relatively (emphasis on relatively!) uneventful. I never heard of Rappahannock Station. The South only had 2,000 guys or so involved and the Union was represented by Sedgewick's Division.

These numbers would hardly seem to fit the Spirit of the word "major" in the question.

Brother Avenger, can you cut me some SLACK here?!?!

PS: I didn't know that Ayres was involved in NYC Riot Control. I thought that was a Third Corps Operation. Can you source me the Ayres connection?

Avenger:

My impression was always that the period between Gettysburg was relatively (emphasis on relatively!) uneventful. I never heard of Rappahannock Station. The South only had 2,000 guys or so involved and the Union was represented by Sedgewick's Division.

These numbers would hardly seem to fit the Spirit of the word "major" in the question.

Brother Avenger, can you cut me some SLACK here?!?!

PS: I didn't know that Ayres was involved in NYC Riot Control. I thought that was a Third Corps Operation. Can you source me the Ayres connection?
The slack is not needed as I find Gen. Ayers was back in time for Bristoe Station in Oct.
I saw one referance to a wound recieved at Petersburg?,w/out any description or referance to the incident. Many of the articles I read referance his duty in patrol after the draft riots.

Back