Who was Confederate Major J. F. Songstreet?

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Yes, that's Songstreet.

He apparently served throughout the war with Jo Shelby, and had known the general since childhood. According to some reminiscences he wrote in 1897, Shelby called him "Jake."

I want to post those reminiscences,but have been unable to identify the writer. I'm sure some Confederate cavalry expert here will know him.

cheers!
jno

Last edited:
Sounds like a Longstreet knockoff, lol!

historyoftwelfth00rhod_0098-1-1-jpg.jpg

Like Captain James M. Longstreet?

Picture and more info in the thread Image of James Longstreet...?

Vote Here:
Well, do I feel like a dmnd fool? Yes, I do!

I read the article in question, transcribed it word for word, and three times wrote "Songstreet."
Which, now I go back to read it again, each and every time it is spelled: "S-T-O-N-E-S-T-R-E-E-T". I clearly had Ol' Pete on the brain.

The man in question is Jacob Fishback Stonestreet (1822-1899) [https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/39925260/jacob-fishback-stonestreet]
About this gentleman, however, even with his correct name, I can find almost nothing. The NPS database simply identifies him as "Confederate Regular Troops, General and Staff Officers."

I'm going to go drown myself in a bottle of Dr Pepper!

Last edited:
Vote Here:
I think with the file above you have quite some information. The NPS also has him twice in its online system: as J.F. Stonestreet, Major/Quartermaster, and as Jacob F. Stonestreet, Quartermaster of the 12th Missouri Cavalry.

He has no entries in Staff Officers in Gray or the List of Confederate Staff Officers.

Vote Here:
Back