NF Who thinks a Forrest mini-series would be awesome!

Non-Fiction
A question on the flag Forrest had flown with him, it's 12 stars instead of 13. I've searched and searched and cannot find why. The common statement by many is that this was a way to show the federal troops that they were facing Forrest and his men, BUT what was the 13th star, the 13th state that Forrest cut out?

I'm sure you will receive several replys to your question. I had always heard that the 13th star represented Missouri and that Forrest was upset with that state.

Last edited:
A question on the flag Forrest had flown with him, it's 12 stars instead of 13. I've searched and searched and cannot find why. The common statement by many is that this was a way to show the federal troops that they were facing Forrest and his men, BUT what was the 13th star, the 13th state that Forrest cut out?

I'm sure you will receive several replays to your question. I had always heard that the 13th star represented Missouri and that Forrest was upset with that state.

Yeah here's an answer to y'alls questions about that flag. The answer I found was it WASN'T his flag. I blame Lost Cause fantasies:

Funny thing is I wrote a letter to the editor of Confederate Veteran to speak my mind about the goings on with his next funeral. Begging that that flag isn't flown everywhere, among other things.

I do! He's in all three of my novels (I'm writing the third one now.) He's a fascinating character and one of my favorite historical figures to write about. Heck, they should do my series!

Rampage on the River: The Battle for Island No. 10 (2nd Michigan Cavalry Chronicles: Book 1)

The Perils of Perryville (2nd Michigan Cavalry Chronicles: Book 2)

View attachment 355915

This thread getting brought up elsewhere and me re-reading it all, I can't believe I didn't suggest this sooner to you.

The director/screenwriter/producer I know and have mentioned in this thread has a company here in Texas that looks for good books to make films of. I remember sending another novelist to him last summer that got me profuse thank you's from both, (though no word on if any deals happened).

If you want to see your chances of having films made out of your books, you can reach out to them. They've got a modern action movie gonna start filming this fall with several well known famous actors. (Not sure if that's privileged information or not so I'm keeping names to myself).

This thread getting brought up elsewhere and me re-reading it all, I can't believe I didn't suggest this sooner to you.

The director/screenwriter/producer I know and have mentioned in this thread has a company here in Texas that looks for good books to make films of. I remember sending another novelist to him last summer that got me profuse thank you's from both, (though no word on if any deals happened).

If you want to see your chances of having films made out of your books, you can reach out to them. They've got a modern action movie gonna start filming this fall with several well known famous actors. (Not sure if that's privileged information or not so I'm keeping names to myself).

Wow, thank you very much! I'll reach out to them.

Wow, thank you very much! I'll reach out to them.

Can't promise it'll get your books made into a movie, but it can't hurt to send an email. Tell them Michael Pepper sent you the heads up.

They got a full schedule of movies so it could take a long while to happen if through them, but it could open a door elsewhere.

Last edited:
How much money did the recent Grant mini-series make? Why I ask this is a question of money. If they do not see much of a potential income from a Forrest mini series than they would have to go with a very small budget. A small budget would probably result in a questionable mini-series.

How much money did the recent Grant mini-series make? Why I ask this is a question of money. If they do not see much of a potential income from a Forrest mini series than they would have to go with a very small budget. A small budget would probably result in a questionable mini-series.

I've no idea what it made, but if all the commercials are an indication, it made a pile of money for History Channel show.

As for a small budget, independent Forrest mini-series that's not laughable. It could be done if done right.

With the right people, right mentality, right persuasions, I would say the minimum range for a budget would be $100,000-$300,000 and I've seen top shelf movies acting, and sound wise done for only $50,000. The 100k to 300k wouldn't be difficult to get with the right producers.

It'd be an uphill battle but its more than possible.

I want a miniseries on any and all Civil War people, units, battles, campaigns and events!!! So go ahead and throw Forrest in there.

The only way a Forrest movie gets made is if Forrest is portrayed as a Black Lesbian, leading the 3rd Norwegian Cavalry on a staff ride of the Fjords, to pick blueberries and air dry cod.

I just had an idea!

How about a movie about someone else in the CW, that crossed paths with Forrest, and when Forrest shows up, portray him truthfully and in a positive light compared the protagonist. Who would not be a nice person, my thinking is "That Demon called Hurst."

Reads well. But when the portray his time as a slave trader, white actors and actresses should portray the slaves. Same for the KKK episode. Let the guys at the klub meeting be black actors.

Its a thought I had last night, who else thinks that would be awesome if it followed the historical record to the letter? No sense in "Hollywoodizing" a thing about his life, it was dramatic enough!

To be honest, its not the first time I've thought of it. The first time was on a movie set, I wasn't needed so while reading a book on the Republic of Texas Navy, one of the crew asked if such a thing existed. After some chit chat he wondered aloud if such a story would make a good movie, after I said I thought so, I followed up saying there was a lot of history that would be good on film, then the director overhearing while walking by said "Let me guess, something Civil War?" to which I said "Sure, if you ever look up Nathan Bedford Forrest you'd agree!"

Getting back on track, its just a thought. I think a three episode miniseries would be awesome, each episode say an hour and forty-five minutes long. First episode, his early life to secession, second the war, third the end of the war, Reconstruction, and later years.

Who else thinks that would be a great show if done right? Lord knows advertising wouldn't be a problem, the news and political groups going bonkers would be a ton of free advertising for it.:D
I think that would be absolutely awesome! Sadly, it may be politically incorrect to produce such a series. Welcome to the 3rd millenium!

Back