Who said what?

wbull1

First Sergeant
Official Vendor
I read a post on Quora that claimed Robert E. Lee said in a speech in Texas, "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse: no sir, not by me. Had I foreseen the results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." Actually, Robert Lewis Dabney wrote that Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale told him that Lee said that to the Governor in a private conversation. At best it is an unverified second-hand account and most historians believe it is false.

What other statements do you find commonly used that have no historical evidence in support of their accuracy?

I read a post on Quora that claimed Robert E. Lee said in a speech in Texas, "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse: no sir, not by me. Had I foreseen the results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." Actually, Robert Lewis Dabney wrote that Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale told him that Lee said that to the Governor in a private conversation. At best it is an unverified second-hand account and most historians believe it is false.

What other statements do you find commonly used that have no historical evidence in support of their accuracy?
There is a story you most likely have heard when Lincoln visited the troops under General Sherman. The General had addressed his command and reprimanded a soldier on some infraction and said if he was caught again, he would be shot. The soldier supposedly was able to get close and complain to Lincoln, who turned to him and said, "Well if the General says he will do it, he probably means it." Whether this one is supportable or no, it just may be!
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
Lee: "Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."

“Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never do less.”
Supposedly from Robert E. Lee in a letter to his son, G.W. Custis Lee. It was published in the New York Sun on 11/26/ 1864 Repudiated in the same year and denied by G.W. Custis Lee.

Vote Here:
There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of alleged but unverified quotes by Lee, Lincoln and others in leadership.
Meanwhile, I would like to see more of the source for this alleged Lee comment. I certainly question its validity.
Lincoln said, "You can't believe everything you see on the Internet." Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Vote Here:
Some great quotes in this thread, whether they can be accurately attributed or not! Who cares?!

I care. When I see statements attributed to some authority in support of the point of view of the person making the attribution, who has not taken the time to verify the quote was made by the authority, I find it annoying.

Vote Here:
When a member of Lincoln’s cabinet suggested he let the South go in peace, Lincoln famously replied, “Let the South go? Where, then, would we get our revenue!”

Except, of course, that there is no citation for this claim. I have invited everyone who has offered this quotation to provide me with a reference. Nobody has because Lincon never made the remark.

Vote Here:
When a member of Lincoln’s cabinet suggested he let the South go in peace, Lincoln famously replied, “Let the South go? Where, then, would we get our revenue!”

Except, of course, that there is no citation for this claim. I have invited everyone who has offered this quotation to provide me with a reference. Nobody has because Lincon never made the remark.

It wasn't a member of Lincoln's cabinet. A former confederate colonel, John Brown Baldwin, claimed after the war that Lincoln had said this during a private meeting with Baldwin during the Fort Sumter crisis. Baldwin had been identified as a "unionist" member of the Virginia Secession Convention and did meet with Lincoln. There is considerable doubt as to whether Baldwin's account has any veracity regarding this point.

Vote Here:
lee.png

Vote Here:

I agree this was never spoken, nor did it reflect Lincoln's own personal beliefs. I do remember the comment Lincoln made regarding the division of the country as, If the south secedes from the north where will she go? It is not as simple as a separation of husband and wife, for we are joined by a common boundary....or something near these words.
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
Back