Who makes the best reproduction 1853 Enfield 3 band musket?

Dennis Wynn

Private
I will be joining a reenactor group. I want to get a quality, historically correct Enfield.

I look forward to your help with this question.

The least bad P53 is no doubt the current Pedersoli offering.

When it comes to the best out of the box it will be the Armi-Sport M1842, which isn't perfect. The Euroarms M1841 which is also a ways off. The new Pedersoli P53 is pretty decent from what Craig Barry has said.

I'm looking forward to what Pedersoli does w/ the M1861.

Then there is the Romano Spencer & the Shiloh Sharps which are on a whole different level and are excellent but you pay for them.

The least bad P53 is no doubt the current Pedersoli offering.

When it comes to the best out of the box it will be the Armi-Sport M1842, which isn't perfect. The Euroarms M1841 which is also a ways off. The new Pedersoli P53 is pretty decent from what Craig Barry has said.

I'm looking forward to what Pedersoli does w/ the M1861.

Then there is the Romano Spencer & the Shiloh Sharps which are on a whole different level and are excellent but you pay for them.

Thanks, I will be checking out the Pedersoli P53.

I will be joining a reenactor group. I want to get a quality, historically correct Enfield.

I look forward to your help with this question.

The Pedersoli P53 Enfield is very good and it is $849 from Cabela's. It is actually the best out of the box reproduction Enfield ever produced. The only accuracy mistakes are along the order of modern proof marks on the barrel which are required by Italian law. These can be filed off and the area re-blued. And, it also has period correct Birmingham proof house marks right where they belong. It is marked Tower 1861 and has the BSAT roundel on the stock. The bore is the correct .577, too.

If an Enfield is correct for your impression, this is the best one to get.

Pedersoli has a US 1861 already. It is the Euroarms version "made to Pedersoli's specifications" and with an American walnut stock. It also has the correct 5/16 x 24 thread bolster vs the 8 x 1 mm European threads. Otherwise it has all the same advantages and disadvantages of the defunct Euroarms version in terms of historical accuracy and performance. Not that this is bad but it's nothing to write home about either.

Last edited:
I was looking back over the various posts on this subject and I believe I have answered this question at least five times. The CivilWarTalk forum has a search function, right? Does anybody use it?

I was looking back over the various posts on this subject and I believe I have answered this question at least five times. The CivilWarTalk forum has a search function, right? Does anybody use it?

Meh one would think. Or they would at least try to reference the old thread, i.e. does the information still hold that Pedersoli is better, etc....

Well, the "Search" feature is operational but, I do understand that product quality can change. It would be beneficial if finding an old thread, open and responding to it, will bring it into active thread status. In addition by adding a date/time in the body of the post, it gives a sense of measure as to how old the information is.

M. E. Wolf
POSTED IN THE CAPACITY OF MODERATOR
Jan. 15, 2014 - 11:49 a.m.

I just did a search for "Pedersoli" and my name and came up with 31 hits. Now, not all of those were questions about their Enfield, but a fair number mentioned that model. Maybe it is easier to ask a question, even if it has been recently asked, rather than look for the answer yourself.

Enjoying research as a rule, I tend to be a "look for the answer before asking" type of guy.

Last edited:
Nobody's mentioned it but if you can get your hands on one the early British Parker-Hale's are quite nice.

Nobody's mentioned it but if you can get your hands on one the early British Parker-Hale's are quite nice.

I have both an early Parker Hale (serial number 5556) made in Birmingham, and the first Pedersoli prototype to roll off the assembly line. The Pedersoli is much more accurate cosmetically and every bit as well made. The lock springs are undoubtedly better. Don't get me wrong the Parker Hale is a very nice Enfield reproduction--of the RSAF type IV-- which never saw one minute of Civil War action. So it needs to be defarbed. The Pedersoli is pretty accurate right out of the box, being marked as a commercial P53 from Birmingham Small Arms Trade.

Back