Who Made Mississippi Rifles for Navy Arms?

VMI88

Private
I've seen reproduction Mississippi rifles marked both "Zoli" and "Navy Arms", but mine only has the Navy Arms marking. Did Zoli make all of Navy Arms' Mississippi rifles, or were there various manufacturers at different times? I bought my rifle second-hand so I don't know anything else about it, not even how old it is.

VMI88,

The only Navy Arms marked Mississippi (and "Zouave") rifles that I have encountered were made in Italy by Antonio Zoli & Co. I do not know if they used any other makers for these models but can't rule it out. Are there any markings visible at all at the rear of the barrel?
Usually I see "Navy Arms Co, Ridgefield, NJ" and the Zoli logo that looks like a bow and arrow The Italians also used a Roman Numeral code and later a two letter code to indicate the year of manufacture. For example XXV is 1969 and AE is 1979. These may not be visible without removing the barrel from the stock. If you Google "Modern Black Powder Proofmarks, Unraveling The Mystery of Icons" there is a good article by Dennis Adler with lot's of good information that will help with your question. If you have time to post any photos we'll be sure to check them out.

Bill

It’s fun trying to figure them. My Navy Arms M1841 also bears the Euroarms mark meaning it was likely originally made for Navy Arms and ended up being acquired by Euroarms and resold.

Thanks for the tips! There aren't any additional markings visible on the barrel but I'll try to dismount it soon and see what's hidden by the stock.

Thanks for the links to the Italian proofs! I removed my barrel and discovered that my rifle was made by Euroarms in 1995.

Back