Who is Most Responsible for the Civil War??

Who is most responsible for the Civil War?

• Total voters
This is the kind of hypocritical, double standard, garbage that really frosts me. It's perfectly fine and good for Southerners to be touchy about their honor, and everybody is supposed to stand out of their way and kiss their butts, but a Northerner defends the honor of his country, his fort, and the soldiers who are defending them, and he's considered an aggressive war-monger. Give me a break.

OK, back on my Ignore List.

Silly Brass, don't you know thats a Southern only alibi :smile:

No one said Pickens was not prepared to go to war nor that he was "peace loving". I said he told "honest" abe in no uncertain terms what would happen. and yes abe "said so" (and more than once I might add) This being the case how can anyone claim abe didn't know he was provoking a war?

And by knowing what Lincoln was doing and attacking the fort anyway, how can anyone not claim that the Confederacy started the war?

The Constitutional Congress for not following their moral compass and the Congress in 1790 for not heeding to Benjamin Franklins last plea before his death that slavery be banned..and instead prohibiting any debate on the subject till 1810....

This is a bit silly, as if one person was "most" responsible for the Civil War. Put this way, the poll isn't much beyond a basic Confederate apologist setup, to be dismissed. Lincoln is the most singular person identified with the Civil War from any perspective, so of course he will top the poll on that basis alone.

Many people were highly responsible for the Civil War, and all the causes of the Civil War firmly in place well before Lincoln had any say in it.

This is a bit silly, as if one person was "most" responsible for the Civil War. Put this way, the poll isn't much beyond a basic Confederate apologist setup, to be dismissed. Lincoln is the most singular person identified with the Civil War from any perspective, so of course he will top the poll on that basis alone.

Many people were highly responsible for the Civil War, and all the causes of the Civil War firmly in place well before Lincoln had any say in it.
It was started in 2005 and folks are a lot smarter now. 🙂

Interesting poll. . . . .

It's good to see Lincoln winning :smile:

Of course he was not alone in the blame, but Lincoln winning is earned.

Respectfully,

William
To post CWT.JPG

[Stephen Miklosik-The Lie That Is Lincoln]

Here Miklosik boldly proclaims he does "not subscribe to the necessary discipline that historians are subject to," as if laziness and ignorance are virtues.

Were this not such a laughable cracker parody, it would be a great insult to all other students of the Civil War, particularly legacy Southerners; those who do subscribe to the necessary discipline that historians are subject to. So thankfully in this forum nothing more than a petty embarrassment.

That blurb is truly a classic illustration of quackery. It’s right up there with “the professionals are trying to shut me up because they don’t want you to know the truth, that my Gigglsworth’s Snake Oil is better than all their medicines and hospitals!” Miklosik’s “jaundiced and cynical view” is nothing more than historical snake oil.

yphof4z67K5fJNNtNAOC7eQ5nIrQXtVgDy1AM3LP2g6PulgC1k.png

I belatedly voted for Calhoun because he still matters despite his death before the War commence. He matters most due to he is the Father of the ideology of the right of secession from the Federal Government due to claimed injustice to southern slavery system. It was a great falsehood and would eventually cause the deaths of over 600,000 thousand Americans. The fire eaters militants (Yancey, Rhett, and others) would carry this ideology right up the commencement of War where it got its final reward. Jefferson Davis and others like him were firm believers in Calhoun; while not fire eaters, when time came to shut up or put up Davis and others like him felt compelled to jump into the fire. Lincoln was left to clean up the mess. John Brown was simply a protester of what was going down already.

That blurb is truly a classic illustration of quackery. It’s right up there with “the professionals are trying to shut me up because they don’t want you to know the truth, that my Gigglsworth’s Snake Oil is better than all their medicines and hospitals!” Miklosik’s “jaundiced and cynical view” is nothing more than historical snake oil.

View attachment 357770

Life be like that sometimes I guess.

Respectfully,
William
Snickers.jpg

Jeff Davis because, he ordered the shelling of Fort Sumter when he heard that Lincoln was going to resupply it.

Well actually, President Jefferson Davis ordered the shelling of a besieged Fort Sumter. Sieges are used to starve the occupants out. It would be silly to secede, form a nation, lay siege to a fort and then allow them to be supplied. That would just not make good military sense. The Confederacy could have done that only if they were not serious about seeking independence. I do understand your vote and reasoning for it.

Respectfully,
William

2 Cents Worth.jpg

Back