Who Here Believes Their Past Life Was An American Soldier During The Civil War?

I'm not a mystical sort and am doubtful about past lives (although I wouldn't say it's impossible) but I have felt at times that I lived during the war, most likely a Confederate soldier. I've been fascinated by the war since I was a small child, not old enough to really understand what it was. I've been - and am - particularly fascinated by period photos. It was eerie when I visited some Civil War battlefields a few years ago; sort of like I could almost see the battle. My wife, who definitely isn't a mystic, says she's convinced I lived during the war.

I think this feeling is created by the spiritual humbling we all experience on any battlefield.
I have to say "No".
However, I feel a connection to my ancestors and think I should be able to honor their dedication and life even if they were Confederates.
I feel a connection also, but I do not feel a connection with their mistakes. For me, this suggestion of reincarnation stems from the spiritual humbling that I have experienced on all the battlefields I have visited, regardless of what war. Intimate knowledge of what occurred there enhances that feeling. There are areas of the Gettysburg battlefield that soulfully remove me from this world!

Even as a little kid I was extremely interested in the civil war and other wars of the horse and musket era to the extent that my old man used to joke that I was a reincarnated old time soldier. I am not sure if I believe it or not but I have wondered about it.

If my wargaming experience is any indication I sure as h--- was no military genius, whoever I was.

John

I remember that there was a poster, not that long ago, who from memory called himself Rhett Butler.
He told us that he kept on having the same dream, and that he was a Confederate Cavalry Major, and that he lost his life at Gettysburg during the action on East Cavalry Field. Can anyone else recall him or his posts ?
Yep.
It was @rhettbutler1865
I asked him a while later if he still has these recurrent dreams snd he said no, they have ceased. Maybe because he had visited the battlefield and the spot where "he" had been killed. He felt strongly that at a certain place on East Cavalry field it had happened. Strange and fascinating.

Interesting subject matter but I couldn’t help but wonder if there has ever been a report of anyone that’s not an American who has claimed that they had a past life as a civil war soldier. The reason that I ask is because I believe that we all carry a genetic memory from our ancestors, I honestly believe that a simple object or something simple like a smell or location can trigger a memory that we didn’t experience ourselves but is somehow locked away deep in our memory.

Over here in Britain most people are terrified of snakes and spiders, its a ridiculous phobia to have given that there isn’t a single spider or snake that will do us any harm, so where does this fear come from, clearly it comes from our ancestors from a time when we needed to be afraid and that’s my point really, we hang onto to experiences that aren’t necessarily our own but have been passed down to us from our forebears. So, it seems perfectly feasible to me that many people who claim to have lived previously as a civil war soldier are really tapping into past traumas and experiences that belonged to their ancestors, that’s probably why many people have experiences when they visit battlefields.

Could I please share my own experience of something similar.

England is small and so the chances of me being in an area where my ancestors have fought and died is very high. For me it is the period during the English Civil war, In particular it’s the Roundheads that trigger something awful in my soul, I regularly pass an old farmhouse with a court yard, its set down in a valley below a road so that when I pass it, I look down on it, Ive never been there but it’s familiar to me, there’s something in me that knows that the farm had something very bad happened there during the war. I haven’t plucked up the courage to call at the farm and ask about its history but I will do one day, I’m kind of hoping that I’m wrong about it’s past.

I once visited a museum that had real examples of a Roundhead helmet, breast armour and a sword, I couldn’t be in the same room with it, It gave off some pretty bad vibes. I think that was the point when I started to believe that there was something from the past in my genetic makeup.

Anyway, its just a theory of mine and I have no evidence to backup what I’m saying, its just how I feel.

Thanks for letting me waffle on.

Last edited:
Interesting subject matter but I couldn’t help but wonder if there has ever been a report of anyone that’s not an American who has claimed that they had a past life as a civil war soldier. The reason that I ask is because I believe that we all carry a genetic memory from our ancestors, I honestly believe that a simple object or something simple like a smell or location can trigger a memory that we didn’t experience ourselves but is somehow locked away deep in our memory.

Over here in Britain most people are terrified of snakes and spiders, its a ridiculous phobia to have given that there isn’t a single spider or snake that will do us any harm, so where does this fear come from, clearly it comes from our ancestors from a time when we needed to be afraid and that’s my point really, we hang onto to experiences that aren’t necessarily our own but have been passed down to us from our forebears. So, it seems perfectly feasible to me that many people who claim to have lived previously as a civil war soldier are really tapping into past traumas and experiences that belonged to their ancestors, that’s probably why many people have experiences when they visit battlefields.

Could I please share my own experience of something similar.

England is small and so the chances of me being in an area where my ancestors have fought and died is very high. For me it is the period during the English Civil war, In particular it’s the Roundheads that trigger something awful in my soul, I regularly pass an old farmhouse with a court yard, its set down in a valley below a road so that when I pass it, I look down on it, Ive never been there but it’s familiar to me, there’s something in me that knows that the farm had something very bad happened there during the war. I haven’t plucked up the courage to call at the farm and ask about its history but I will do one day, I’m kind of hoping that I’m wrong about it’s past.

I once visited a museum that had real examples of a Roundhead helmet, breast armour and a sword, I couldn’t be in the same room with it, It gave off some pretty bad vibes. I think that was the point when I started to believe that there was something from the past in my genetic makeup.

Anyway, its just a theory of mine and I have no evidence to backup what I’m saying, its just how I feel.

Thanks for letting me waffle on.

Ooops, what a coincidence.
Only last night I did one of these test on the internet that says "Have you lived before and what kind of person have you been" and for me it said "poor servant" and every statement fitted. But as no one wants to have been a poor servant but rather a princess, I started over again and took the other choice in those case where I had not been quite sure. Again, same result.
There were others who commented on their result, so there must be different results, but in my case, everything was fitting, even my choice of profession. And after we had moved here where we live now, I had recurrent dreams of an alley in the sunshine, with cobblestones and a wooden fence and all of a sudden I knew it's the main street in the village where we live now, maybe 150 years back. I think that I saw it in the sunshine is a good omen. So, yes, I believe something stays.

Ooops, what a coincidence.
Only last night I did one of these test on the internet that says "Have you lived before and what kind of person have you been" and for me it said "poor servant" and every statement fitted. But as no one wants to have been a poor servant but rather a princess, I started over again and took the other choice in those case where I had not been quite sure. Again, same result.
There were others who commented on their result, so there must be different results, but in my case, everything was fitting, even my choice of profession. And after we had moved here where we live now, I had recurrent dreams of an alley in the sunshine, with cobblestones and a wooden fence and all of a sudden I knew it's the main street in the village where we live now, maybe 150 years back. I think that I saw it in the sunshine is a good omen. So, yes, I believe something stays.
Remember in an earlier post I mentioned an old farm house that gives me the creeps, it just so happens that I passed it today whilst I was out riding my motorcycle, I stopped and took a picture. After a bit of research, it turns out that the Roundheads did attack the owner of the Manor House, this farm is located on the property of the Manor House and so its highly likely that my intuition was right.

Here’s the creepy farm house.
0C5C660C-E296-47DA-A076-443A76C927D9.jpeg

Remember in an earlier post I mentioned an old farm house that gives me the creeps, it just so happens that I passed it today whilst I was out riding my motorcycle, I stopped and took a picture. After a bit of research, it turns out that the Roundheads did attack the owner of the Manor House, this farm is located on the property of the Manor House and so its highly likely that my intuition was right.

Here’s the creepy farm house.
View attachment 365175
It does have something creepy - maybe because of the high walls and the empty windows and open doors staring back...

Returning to the Civil War - I have often told here that I definitely had a strange feeling when I visited the NC monument at Gettysburg. I was a totally ignorant tourist back then, knowing next to nothing about the Civil War, but when I stood there, listening to the guide, I had the feeling somebody was watching me from just outside my view. I turned frequently, but of course there was nobody. Also it felt like there was a kind of echo - just like after an extreme noise the sound is gone, but your ears still ring. I never had that at any historic site I had visited before, and I did not have it since. In fact this and a similar feeling at LRT brought me to get interested in the Civil War and eventually joining this site where I met some people I call friends now. It definitely has given my life a new spin.

I can't say I believe in that reincarnation stuff, but I cannot help the feeling that "I want to go back". I feel miserable not being there back then, or back during the Second World War. I'm not "depressed" or anything like that, I just wish that I could have lived back then to be remembered for something other than being a civilian railroad employee. I just find myself wondering why I wasn't born back then to be at Picketts Charge, or at Omaha Beach.

Back