Who has Unionist guerrilla ancestors?

Yes, my Landrums are Thomas S and William Henry Landrum, 2nd and 3rd G Grandfathers.
I was able to confirm family stories when I read Landrums in Gray & Blue Conflicts in Loyalities in Piney Woods Mississippi.

The names of four Landrum men appear on the rolls for that day: Thomas S. Landrum, who gave his age as 43; William P. Landrum, age 28; Henry Landrum, age 18; and John Landrum, age 19. As related in Part 1, Thomas and William Pinkney Landrum were brothers and had enlisted together in the Confederate 2nd Battalion AL Light Artillery in February 1862. They deserted in October following the Battle of Iuka. Henry was the eldest son of Thomas while John was a first cousin (son of Jesse Marion Landrum). Only Thomas could sign his name; the other three made their marks on the enlistment form.
Hi @mcwright ,
If you like I can bump up a thread that has many examples of Union and Confederate guerrillas.
Leftyhunter

OK I checked and I found a couple people who were in Union militia units. They were also related to the Campbells I mentioned in my earlier post through marriage as my 4th Great grandfather Capt. William Campbell married my 4th Great grandmother Rachel Garrison. They are her cousins. One was named Isaac Newton Atterberry and he was in the 11th Missouri State Militia Regiment (Union). His son was Isaac Taylor Atterberry and he was in the 7th Missouri Cavalry (Union) and the 1st Missouri Cavalry (Union). Issac N. also had a brother Zephaniah Murry Atterberry who was in the 70th Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union) and confusingly he also had a nephew named Zephaniah Murry Atterberry, who was the son of Seamon Atterberry, who was a Musician in the 10th Missouri Infantry (Union). His brother Lewis actually had a bio entry. The following was taken from the 1910 History of Macon County, Missouri

Mr. Atterbury was born on the farm where the town of Atlanta, Macon county, Mo., is now situated, on the 12th of May, 1845. His father, Seaman Atterbury, a native of Kentucky, moved with his parents when a child of eight years, to Illinois, and passed his early life near Galesburg. At the age of 18 the family removed to Monroe county, Mo., where he formed the acquaintance of a charming young lady by the name of Nancy G. Weatherford, of Kentucky, to whom he was married. After living there several years he moved to Iowa, settling in Davis county, near the present site of the town of Bloomfield, where he lived six years.

Not satisfied, he returned with his family to Missouri in 1845, and bought land and improved a farm in Macon county, and there he still lives. He lost his first wife in 1852, and subsequently married Miss Mary C. Dabney, also from Kentucky. By the first marriage there were seven children: two girls and five boys; of these L. J. was the fifth child, all now married. There were three boys by his deceased wife, there being 10 children. All are living; the youngest is 25 years old. L. J. grew up in the county on a farm, and was educated partly at the common schools and partly by himself.

When the war began he was but a boy of 16, but enlisted in the service of the stars and stripes in the Twenty-second Missouri infantry, afterwards consolidated with and known as the Tenth Missouri infantry, under the brave Col. Samuel A. Molmes, of St. Louis. He served until 1864, part of the time as musician. He was in many fights the principal of which are Iuka and Corinth, Miss., Yazoo Pass Expedition, Siege of Vicksburg, Raymond, Port Gibson, Jackson, Champion's Hill, Chattanooga, Mission Ridge and Stony Point, Tenn., this being his last general engagement of any consequence. At Corinth he received a slight gunshot wound in the hip, but served his country until his term of service expired, and then was discharged and went home. The war not being over, he remained home two months, and re-enlisted in an independent company for scouting purposes, in which he was quartermaster sergeant.

When the war was over he clerked for his father in a store in Atlanta, but in little more than a year went on a farm. His next step, farming being a lonely life for a bachelor, was to choose a wife, whom he found in the person of Miss Julia A., daughter of Judge M.G. Clem, of Adair county, but formerly from Ohio. After his marriage Mr. Atterbury continued to farm for 14 years, devoting some time, also to the raising and feeding of stock for general markets. In September, 1881, he moved to Atlanta, sold his farm, and engaged in the drug and grocery business. He has since sold out his business and is living at ease. Mr. and Mrs. A. have one child, M. Theron, one, Eddie, having died in infancy. Mr. A. is a member of Atlanta Lodge No. 411, I. O. O. F., and is vice-grand of the order. Mrs. A. belongs to the M. E. Church.

I suspect there are more from this family and need to do more research.
Never mind this I was looking at the wrong Atterberry family.

In Missouri Capt Jim Jackson, and Qauntrill where quit active on my great great grandmother's property in Chariton. A lot of Union militia where fighting in corn fields across from her farm against the Confederate Guerillas. They also killed two of their slaves that was on their property delivering a message to there cousin two miles away even though they had a pass they still shot them. They where terrorist. Jim Jackson was then later killed https://www.civilwarmonitor.com/blo...the-oxymoron-of-postbellum-missouri-1865-1866

In Missouri Capt Jim Jackson, and Qauntrill where quit active on my great great grandmother's property in Chariton. A lot of Union militia where fighting in corn fields across from her farm against the Confederate Guerillas. They also killed two of their slaves that was on their property delivering a message to there cousin two miles away even though they had a pass they still shot them. They where terrorist. Jim Jackson was then later killed https://www.civilwarmonitor.com/blo...the-oxymoron-of-postbellum-missouri-1865-1866
I have studied a fair amount of Counterinsurgency conflicts and every counterinsurgency conflict I know of the police and army must use local militas to supplement their overstretched man power. Militas will do what they want to do. The Counterinsurgency Campaign in Missiouri is certainly not an exception to the rule

Leftyhunter

I have studied a fair amount of Counterinsurgency conflicts and every counterinsurgency conflict I know of the police and army must use local militas to supplement their overstretched man power. Militas will do what they want to do. The Counterinsurgency Campaign in Missiouri is certainly not an exception to the rule

Leftyhunter

The Confederate Guerillas also didn't have any uniforms or battle flags, so they mostly where their own clothes. I love the movie Ride With the Devil. Talks all about that.

The Confederate Guerillas also didn't have any uniforms or battle flags, so they mostly where their own clothes. I love the movie Ride With the Devil. Talks all about that.
I have seen that movie as well it's pretty accurate by Hollywood standards. Unfortunately it didn't make a profit.
Guerrllas generaly don't wear uniforms so per the Leiber Code also known as General Order #100 Union troops and milita were entitled to shoot captured guerrllas in the spot.
Leftyhunter

I have seen that movie as well it's pretty accurate by Hollywood standards. Unfortunately it didn't make a profit.
Guerrllas generaly don't wear uniforms so per the Leiber Code also known as General Order #100 Union troops and milita were entitled to shoot captured guerrllas in the spot.
Leftyhunter

Wasn't there some rule of their own if they where caught wearing the blue they would shoot them as well by their own gang?

I know this is a bit late of a response but my grandfather on my mother’s side grew up in North Carolina and comes from a long line of Confederate soldiers, well that is for one or two. My distant cousin Harvey was noted absent without leave from Company C of the 5th battalion N.C. cavalry. I believe he ran away with his older cousin who shared the same name, and was in the same company who’s muster roll read him absent without leave, left wagon trail near Dalton GA in September 1862. My older cousin was a bear hunter and passed in 1908, younger Harvey however joined Co. F 3rd N.C. Mounted Infantry “Kirks Raiders”. These men were pro Union guerrillas. I am unaware of how long he stayed with them, presumably till his return home. Harvey was murdered 6/11/1865 in his home county of Yancey, 2 months after Appomattox, two days before his 31st birthday, while he was still wearing his Union blues.

7AD6C61B-9C0F-47A7-8512-DE694BDBA09A.jpeg
17644653-A756-47D2-B86A-7C90F02E5079.jpeg

I know this is a bit late of a response but my grandfather on my mother’s side grew up in North Carolina and comes from a long line of Confederate soldiers, well that is for one or two. My distant cousin Harvey was noted absent without leave from Company C of the 5th battalion N.C. cavalry. I believe he ran away with his older cousin who shared the same name, and was in the same company who’s muster roll read him absent without leave, left wagon trail near Dalton GA in September 1862. My older cousin was a bear hunter and passed in 1908, younger Harvey however joined Co. F 3rd N.C. Mounted Infantry “Kirks Raiders”. These men were pro Union guerrillas. I am unaware of how long he stayed with them, presumably till his return home. Harvey was murdered 6/11/1865 in his home county of Yancey, 2 months after Appomattox, two days before his 31st birthday, while he was still wearing his Union blues.

View attachment 384409View attachment 384411
Where are your folks from in Yancey? My paternal grandmother's family is from there. I don't have any Unionists I've found on that side but quite a few on my paternal grandfather's side. They were from Madison County and in the 2nd NC Mounted Infantry. Usually by way of the Confederate Army.

I have a cousin who belonged to a Missouri Home Guard, technically a somewhat murky guerrilla like organisation legally. But as far as I can tell he did nothing normally considered "guerrilla warfare" they just garrisoned a town for 3 months. Then he crossed the river to join a regular Illinois unit.

He must not have been well liked.

Where are your folks from in Yancey? My paternal grandmother's family is from there. I don't have any Unionists I've found on that side but quite a few on my paternal grandfather's side. They were from Madison County and in the 2nd NC Mounted Infantry. Usually by way of the Confederate Army.
They are from Burnsville directly but I've found our name in the surrounding towns. Harvey is the only one I've found who actually changed sides. It is safe to say a small portion of my family was Union loyalist, I think I remember seeing a child named Ulysses! I have 13 relatives in the 58th North Carolina Infantry, but very little information I have of them at the time. National park soldier search is not working for me, making it difficult to do some research right now.

Very cool! Mine are from the Prices Creek and Jacks Creek areas. (Surnames mostly Fox and Austin and Buchanan for CW vets). And all the ones I can find CW service for were with the 58th (or 62nd). The Madison county bunch were all in the 64th. :smile:

Last edited:

View attachment 384409View attachment 384411

Very cool! Mine are from the Prices Creek and Jacks Creek areas. (Surnames mostly Fox and Austin and Buchanan for CW vets). And all the ones I can find CW service for were with the 58th (or 62nd). The Madison county bunch were all in the 64th. :smile:
That's so interesting, maybe our relatives once knew each other. It really was a much smaller community back then. A younger relative of the man that murdered my cousin married a Presnell, I think in the 1870's. I was skeptical of putting every bodies name up, but it is public information anyways. His name was James M. Tipton and I think he lived in Tennessee.

That's so interesting, maybe our relatives once knew each other. It really was a much smaller community back then. A younger relative of the man that murdered my cousin married a Presnell, I think in the 1870's. I was skeptical of putting every bodies name up, but it is public information anyways. His name was James M. Tipton and I think he lived in Tennessee.
I bet they did know each other in some fashion or form!

Back