Who gave the worst performance?

I'll limit myself to 5 from each side:

James J. Archer - Even Davis, with one less regiment bettered him in Day 1. Running, trying to hide and getting arrested in a thicket by a private, is not befit to a general. But he was a political general.

Well he really shouldn't even have been on the field. His health was in decline since the Maryland Campaign of 1862. Before his illness he was nicknamed "Little Gamecock" because of his imposing build and tenacity during battle. His illness finally took a toll on him at Gettysburg, which is why he tried to sit down and rest in a thicket. The Tennessee Brigade itself did excellent. They fought with Buford's Cavalry after marching 6 miles, then held their own against the Iron Brigade before they were finally out flanked and cross-fired. You can say thanks to Henry Heth, Archer protested that his brigade was too lightly manned to advance un-supported. Initially, Archer's Brigade held firm, with the Tennesseans reloading on their backs then rolling over to shoot. However, more elements which outnumbered Archer's own heavily, started flanking from the right and left. Archer thought Davis was holding his left (which he wasn't). and the 24th MI and 19th IN were able to enfilade and rout the Alabamians on Archer's right. By the time the jaws started to close, many couldn't escape, including Archer himself, who was observed to be very fatigued. So I don't think the blame could be on him. Orders are orders, he couldn't reject them.

james-archer-300px_0.jpg

I've read that several Confederates criticized Gen. Richard Ewell for screwing up, particularly on July 2, when the opportunity existed to break through the Union line at Culp's Hill, but was not exploited properly.

Anybody out there agree with that?

I don't blame Ewell that much, from wandering around on it a few days ago i'll tell ya its a hard position to take. Ewell could have done a better job had he got his attack together earlier, brought up Rodes division in a timely fashion or pushed his reserves in. Aside from Culp's Hill, Ewell did his job attacking East Cemetery Hill on July 2. I would lay more blame on A.P. Hill who failed to commit Pender's division to the attack on Cemetery Hill. Had A.P. Hill done this it is likely Howard's battered forces would have broken.

I'll limit myself to 5 from each side:

Confederate:

Robert E. Lee
- after Day 1 he should have not attacked. Twice. Forming a defensive line at South Mountain and waiting for Meade, or even better, letting Ewell attack a defenseless Harrisburg as requested, and cross the Susquehanna with the whole ANV days ahead of the Federals, up there (and with the Wrightsville bridge burned) would have been the way to go.

James J. Archer - Even Davis, with one less regiment bettered him in Day 1. Running, trying to hide and getting arrested in a thicket by a private, is not befit to a general. But he was a political general.

Alfred Iverson Jr. - Too drunk to fight? Who knows. But a brigadier General does not let his brigade to go to battle alone, even a political one.

John M. Brockenbrough - Too sad to fight? He lost his brother at day 1 and during Pickett's charge he let his (Heth's) brigade go on without him. No wonder they went only half way before they ran back. Heth's Brigade, thus, (Col. Robert Murphy Mayo of the 47th VA commanding,)makes the list as well... Another political general adverse to fighting. Must be a theme here.

Union:

Alexander Schimmelfennig - Spending the whole battle in someone's outhouse is not good generalship. Esp. for someone who was supposedly a seasoned Prussian soldier.

Francis C. Barlow - No idea how they named a hill after him or why he even got to command a Division. First General going to battle exposing his own flank. Another Lawyer made general.

O O Howard - Probably made the second biggest mistake in the Battle (after Lee,) which he was lucky not to have any consequences: He kept sending troops from the 11th Corps up North, until there was a single brigade left in support of Cemetery Hill. Saved by the clock, Slocum's arrival, and the fact that when Pender's Confederates turned the Iron Brigade around at the Seminary Ridge, they decided to follow them through town, instead of going to the High Ground.

I Corps and XI Corps. That was not quite textbook retreat. Makes Heth's Brigade who went half way look like soldiers...

I was always under the impression that the reason Schimmelfennig hid was due to getting trapped behind enemy lines during the retreat and wanting to avoid capture. If this was the case I can't say I blame him for his actions.

I don't blame Ewell that much, from wandering around on it a few days ago i'll tell ya its a hard position to take. Ewell could have done a better job had he got his attack together earlier, brought up Rodes division in a timely fashion or pushed his reserves in. Aside from Culp's Hill, Ewell did his job attacking East Cemetery Hill on July 2. I would lay more blame on A.P. Hill who failed to commit Pender's division to the attack on Cemetery Hill. Had A.P. Hill done this it is likely Howard's battered forces would have broken.
I think I agree with that, more or less. Ewell has always seemed to be overcriticized to me.

Farnsworth's Charge was not the idea of a tactical genius. Kilpatrick had no regard for those men and animals serving under him. If he was so brave he should have led the charge himself, and he did not lead the charge as he was ordered. Kilpatrick was not that brave. He got good men killed for no reason or gain. He knew that attack could not succeed over the ground, everyone could see it.

Meade ordered that attack and that Kilpatrick was just obeying orders (of course, being over-eager to do so.) If anyone is at fault here is Meade who ordered cavalry to go against infantry and artillery through an everglades' like terrain...

Last edited:
I was always under the impression that the reason Schimmelfennig hid was due to getting trapped behind enemy lines during the retreat and wanting to avoid capture. If this was the case I can't say I blame him for his actions.

Schimmelfennig was an active Division (Shurz's) Commander at that point. His job was to make sure that a. the retreat of his Division happened in order, b. with as few casualties, prisoners, and deserters as possible and c. a defensive line is formed.

Instead of doing that, he was worrying about himself and his own personal safety, practically deserted his troops, and went to hide until the danger was over. He failed miserably. What he did deserved punishment.

I don't have a good knowledge about the situation in Gettysburg after it was overrun by Rebels, so I share the AlexPensFan86's doubt.

If Schimmelfennig was left for dead by his men and then he found himself surrounded by Rebels, what could he really do? Charge them heads on and get killed or captured?
Of course, if he went into hiding prior to being overrun and surrounded, then he is definitely to blame for acting cowardly in face of an enemy.
I don't know and would be thankful if somebody explains it to me.
https://civilwartalk.com/members/alexpensfan86.13253/

Most everybody here is knowledgeable regarding the Battle of Gettysburg. Names like Buford, Chamberlain, Greene, Hancock, Longstreet, and Armistead are synonymous with skill and courage. But............ who in your opinion did not live up to their ability? Not limited to just generals; - officers, regiments, and brigades can be included.

View attachment 157348

In ref. to the battle itself....Lee. In ref. to the war itself....Meade.

Back