"Who Fired That Shot": Lincoln in the Black Hawk War Question

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Peter Stines

Private
In Sandburg's first volume; "The Prairie Years" the author went into a bit of detail about Lincoln's involvement in the Black Hawk War of 1832. Seems that at one time someone discharged a pistol in camp. No mention if this was an accident or on purpose but this was real "no-no". (Both Regulars and militia regulations stated that NO LOADED FIREARMS WERE ALLOWED IN CAMP) Turns out that it was Capt. Lincoln who did the deed.(Maybe he was just clearing a damp piece instead of trying to pull the load. As a black powder shooter I can testify that this can be annoying if not dangerous) Any more detail about this incident ? As I understand it Lincoln was busted down from Captain to Private and had to carry a wooden sword for a time. None of the internet sources mention this. I'd like to see documentation. Another item: When Lincoln first enlisted he didn't have a gun or equipment. He drew or was issued a weapon from arsenal. Are there any records showing what he received ? In H.C. McBarron's color plate for the COMH he shows Lincoln with a rifle, pouch and powder horn. (From His Mounted Rifle service no doubt.) Any and all help appreciated. Pete

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
In Sandburg's first volume; "The Prairie Years" the author went into a bit of detail about Lincoln's involvement in the Black Hawk War of 1832. Seems that at one time someone discharged a pistol in camp. No mention if this was an accident or on purpose but this was real "no-no". (Both Regulars and militia regulations stated that NO LOADED FIREARMS WERE ALLOWED IN CAMP) Turns out that it was Capt. Lincoln who did the deed.(Maybe he was just clearing a damp piece instead of trying to pull the load. As a black powder shooter I can testify that this can be annoying if not dangerous) Any more detail about this incident ? As I understand it Lincoln was busted down from Captain to Private and had to carry a wooden sword for a time. None of the internet sources mention this. I'd like to see documentation. Another item: When Lincoln first enlisted he didn't have a gun or equipment. He drew or was issued a weapon from arsenal. Are there any records showing what he received ? In H.C. McBarron's color plate for the COMH he shows Lincoln with a rifle, pouch and powder horn. (From His Mounted Rifle service no doubt.) Any and all help appreciated. Pete
A better reference – Cecil D, Eby, That Disgraceful Affair, the Black Hawk War,

Peter Stines

Private
I've heard of that one. Excerpts that I read from it were none too complimentary about Lincoln. Yes, it was a pretty disgraceful conflict and Lincoln's part was a joke. Still it's worth a look and I'll get it inter-library loan. Thanks