Forrest Who did Forrest like to play poker with after the war?

I know he was a teatotaler, but some of the last vices he held on were cussing and playing poker. I've heard he liked to play in the Memphis Saloons after the war. Who were some of the men he might have played with, especially around 1875?

Thanks,

Cody
After the war when he found religion he never gambled again.

@Cody C. Engdahl l have some military papers of Col. James H. Edmondson and have done a deep dive into his background and history. The Edmondson and Forrest families were close and he was a good friend of Forrest before, during and after the CW. Forrest installed him as Colonel of the 11th Tennessee cavalry in early 1863 when there was dissension in the regiment over commander issues and he remained in that position until the return of the former colonel after recovery from wounds in the summer of 1863. Edmondson then acquired and ran a blockade runner, the Charlotte Clark. There is evidence that Edmondson offered Forrest a position on the steamer when he took his sabbatical from Bragg after Chickamauga. Edmondson was a pallbearer at Forrest’s funeral. I have no evidence of their playing poker together but it is an inferable possibility if you are looking for plausible scenarios for a novel.

@Cody C. Engdahl l have some military papers of Col. James H. Edmondson and have done a deep dive into his background and history. The Edmondson and Forrest families were close and he was a good friend of Forrest before, during and after the CW. Forrest installed him as Colonel of the 11th Tennessee cavalry in early 1863 when there was dissension in the regiment over commander issues and he remained in that position until the return of the former colonel after recovery from wounds in the summer of 1863. Edmondson then acquired and ran a blockade runner, the Charlotte Clark. There is evidence that Edmondson offered Forrest a position on the steamer when he took his sabbatical from Bragg after Chickamauga. Edmondson was a pallbearer at Forrest’s funeral. I have no evidence of their playing poker together but it is an inferable possibility if you are looking for plausible scenarios for a novel.
Thank you. This is good stuff!

Colonel Jim was well known and liked in Memphis after the war and of course his sister was the well known Belle Edmondson....Confederate spy. He was a Howard during the Yellow fever epidemic in 1878 and I think a silent partner in Forrest RR business.

I would be interested in anything you have on him post war.

Back