Who Bankrolled the Abolitionists? A Prediction

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

James Lutzweiler

Sergeant Major
That's a very good question.

My apologies for not picking that one brief sentence out of a rather long, convoluted OP.
I accept your apology. On the other hand, just for the record and not to argue, I do not agree that the post was convoluted or any longer than it had to be. You might be right. I simply don't see it that way and do not wish other potential posters to be turned away from the OP by that characterization --though they might look at it anyway through curiosity about things convoluted. But thanks for your post.

James Lutzweiler

Sergeant Major
I would research William Backhouse Astor, jr: he definitely supported the abolitionist movement and bore the cost to equip an entire Union Army regiment.
Thank you for this, the very kind of specific answer to my OP that I am looking for. I will do so.

James Lutzweiler

Sergeant Major
I would research William Backhouse Astor, jr: he definitely supported the abolitionist movement and bore the cost to equip an entire Union Army regiment.
Because of your good question, I have begun a new thread about Wealthy Planters and Southerners, using William Astor for a foil. Thank you again for your prompt. You might wish to check it out and contribute.