Who am I? - Dec 2-8

A little clearer today. Tomorrow's photo will have no distortion. I never made a connection with him and Captain Kangaroo but I think he looks most like Captain Kangaroo than all the other Major Generals. He doesn't look like Captain Kangaroo but if a Major General can be said to look like Captain Kangaroo it would be him. Hope this doesn't confuse anybody as much as it confuses me!
Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 7.42.40 AM.jpg

A little clearer today. Tomorrow's photo will have no distortion. I never made a connection with him and Captain Kangaroo but I think he looks most like Captain Kangaroo than all the other Major Generals. He doesn't look like Captain Kangaroo but if a Major General can be said to look like Captain Kangaroo it would be him. Hope this doesn't confuse anybody as much as it confuses me!
View attachment 86015
I can't think of anyone but Simon Bolivar Buckner, because of the moustache and because of the old U.S. stars, although he was only ever a Captain in the regular army, I can't really think of anyone else.

Thanks for all your guesses. Here is a hint. In a different photo he is standing near a famed table with his right hand resting on it.

View attachment 86015
General Ord?

Hey, everyone I'm looking for feedback on this game. Changes, improvements, ideas, scrapheap...

I think I need another try to decide if I really like it. This one was a bit too difficult for me to really have fun and I think I have never seen that photo or maybe even any close up photo of Ord before... and as the use of Google image is banned...
I'd maybe suggest a less elaborate level of abstraction but then the answers hidden from view, like in Trivia.
Or maybe a high level of abstraction and a clickbox giving three choices for the answer. Less competitive, as there will be no single winner, but more fun for bloody beginners like me...
Just my thoughts, I know that others just love it as it is.
At any rate, thank you @Mike Serpa for keeping us amused!!:D

Last edited:
The hidden answers thing won't work, I can't assign it to a single thread.

I do agree with less distortion and just do a pixelated photo like on the first one. And then ask players not to "cheat".

One way to hide the answers would be to have any guess pm'ed to Mike Serpa, and then he can just announce who one if any at the end of the game.

I think I need another try to decide if I really like it. This one was a bit too difficult for me to really have fun and I think I have never seen that photo or maybe even any close up photo of Ord before... and as the use of Google image is banned...
I'd maybe suggest a less elaborate level of abstraction but then the answers hidden from view, like in Trivia.
Or maybe a high level of abstraction and a clickbox giving three choices for the answer. Less competitive, as there will be no single winner, but more fun fot bloody beginners like me...
Just my thoughts, I know that others just love it as it is.
At any rate, thank you @Mike Serpa for keeping us amused!!:D

If I make it too difficult it's not fun. I can make it easier with only one or two images and a day in between each new image. Maybe use only pixellation.

Is there a chance of one or two people dominating this game? If so, would others get discouraged and not play?

You could pm your guesses but I don't want to get a bunch of messages that all read' Sherman' when he is not the one. Also, as guesses would on be seen only by me in a pm, you would not be able to use incorrect guesses to help you guess correctly.

This does not have to be limited to portraits. Name the city, name the boat, name the fort, etc.

It would be challenging for me to choose photos familiar to all. I was surprised that @Zuzah had not seen the General Ord photo!

Thanks all for your input. Hopefully there will be replies with more input. I'm ready to try this agin!

If I make it too difficult it's not fun. I can make it easier with only one or two images and a day in between each new image. Maybe use only pixellation.

Is there a chance of one or two people dominating this game? If so, would others get discouraged and not play?

You could pm your guesses but I don't want to get a bunch of messages that all read' Sherman' when he is not the one. Also, as guesses would on be seen only by me in a pm, you would not be able to use incorrect guesses to help you guess correctly.

This does not have to be limited to portraits. Name the city, name the boat, name the fort, etc.

It would be challenging for me to choose photos familiar to all. I was surprised that @Zuzah had not seen the General Ord photo!

Thanks all for your input. Hopefully there will be replies with more input. I'm ready to try this agin!
In my own defense, I was certain I had recognized the man before, but I had him pegged wrong, and I was looking in the wrong place. It was a case of embedding myself in the wrong area/information.

It's the case with a lot of distortion that the human brain tries to recognize anything familiar or human, and I latched on to the first thing that came to mind - the first wrong thing, though! Lol.

I've only recently begun expanding my interests beyond the major hitters, Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, etc., so I'm still a newbie. :wink:

Back