1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Whitworth Rifle

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by Para Jim, Dec 22, 2016.

1. MRB1863

MRB1863 Captain Forum Host

Very nice collection! And nicely displayed, too! Oh, did I mention my birthday is in October?? ...well just for information...

Nathanb1 likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Package4

Package4 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

I found it incredibly informative.

What is your opinion of the possibility of a British Government marked Whitworth finding its way into the hands of a Confederate sharpshooter? I know that to date all provenanced ACW Whitworths have been 2nd Quality and not for government use.

4. ResearchPress

ResearchPress Private

I think it at best improbable. Following the initial trials with the Pattern 1862 Whitworth Rifle more extensive trials were decided upon, which resulted in the Pattern 1863 Whitworth Short Rifle. The rifles were made at Enfield between 1863 and 1864 using barrels provided by Firth & Sons, John Cornforth, Messrs. Berger, and Whitworth & Co. Trials appear to have commenced in 1864 and were reported upon in the 'Army (Whitworth Rifles)' return in 1867.

David

5. Mary Beth Crips

Mary Beth Crips Private

Thanks for this good read and the pictures. I saw a Whitworth in the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, Wyoming. My gggrandfather was in the GA Sharpshooters, Co. B, 4th Batt.

Package4 likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)