1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Whites Working with Slaves in the Fields?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Belle Montgomery, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Belle Montgomery

Belle Montgomery First Sergeant

Do you think this is after the war? I do notice that the white men aren't holding the cotton bags so maybe not? Or are they all free and paid labor? The overseer on horseback makes me believe it's before emancipation or is he just the "boss man" to the field labor? cotton filed slaves.jpg

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

This really looks postwar to me, maybe a few decades postwar. Cotton harvesting didn't change much for a LONG time.

4. RobertP

RobertP Major

That appears to be a steam powered cotton gin in the background. Those probably weren’t common pre-War, if existing at all. The whites in the photo aren’t wearing work clothes.

5. Belle Montgomery

"Cotton gins were a huge improvement over hand processing, but early gins were hand-operated and each machine could process barely 40 pounds of cotton per day. Horse and mule powers were eventually tried, which raised the daily output per gin to 400 pounds. It was soon found, however, that three men and a steam-powered gin could turn out approximately 4,000 pounds of clean cotton each day. Steam power was also ideal for driving large presses that made big cotton bales. In 1839, a Louisiana plantation owner wrote "Very much (pleased) with Wm. H. Barrow steam mill. Ginning, grinding and sawing by steam … ginning by steam from 5 to 10 bales a day …"
    source: Farm Collecter.com -"Evolving Uses for Steam Power"

6. Belle Montgomery

So what were the white guys doing out there not in work clothes? Walked that far for a photo?. … then the guy on the horse drew the longest straw. LOL Unless the photo was taken from a road then they drove a wagon or something.

7. RobertP

RobertP Major

I guess then it could be a pre war steam gin. Maybe someone could help out with the clothing style of the whites and date it that way.

jgoodguy and Belle Montgomery like this.
  8. AndyHall

The camera is up high, likely in a wagon of some sort. So they probably didn't hoof it out there on their own.

Joshism and Belle Montgomery like this.
  9. RobertP

RobertP Major

Probably taken from a turn row or a farm lane. That is a big field and it isn’t flat ground like you would see along the Miss. Delta.

jgoodguy and Belle Montgomery like this.
  10. AndyHall

11. Belle Montgomery

Good work Andy! and I thought the term "overseer" was not used after emancipation.

RobertP likes this.
  12. RobertP

RobertP Major

Also looks like large wagons/trailers lined up and full of cotton to the right of the gin. I don’t know when those came into common use but I bet it was post war.

Rebforever and Belle Montgomery like this.
  13. Aaron Rider

Aaron Rider Private

Indeed. Heck, Waylon Jennings was so scarred by cotton harvest time in 1940/50s west Texas that he wrote a song about not wanting to go back. He mentions it in his autobiography too.

James N. likes this.
  14. Belle Montgomery

LOVE Waylon Jennings's music!

15. Rusk County Avengers

Rusk County Avengers Corporal

Definitely post-war, looking at their cloths, the background buildings, their hats, and what I can see of the rider's saddle, I'd say this photo is somewhere between 1899 and 1925. At least that's my best observant guess.

White's in the South definitely picked cotton, my Grandad was pulled out of school in the third grade in the 1930's to go pick cotton with his Mother and Grandparents, my grandmother still has my GG-Granddad's cotton receipts, (and other receipts) from 1880 to 1939, (I really should have grabbed on to the offer a few years ago for me to take them lol). It was a hard way to make a living, here in NE Texas my GG-Grandad's receipts show they would work from dawn till dusk picking cotton for month and make around $25 dollars to survive them for till the next harvest

Harvey Johnson likes this.
  16. WJC

WJC Moderator Moderator

The word was not restricted to one who 'oversees' slaves. It is still in use today, though generally avoided in the US because of the slavery connotation.

Belle Montgomery likes this.
  17. archieclement

archieclement Sergeant Major

Belle Montgomery and Drew like this.
  18. lelliott19

lelliott19 1st Lieutenant Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Sorry, I dont have any relevant information to add.....

Just noticed the official/dictionary pronunciation and thought it interesting to note that here, in Alabama, we still pronounce the word as "over-see-ur" - three syllables - not two. :nah disagree:

In fact, it seems we add an extra syllable to most words.....whenever possible.:D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Drew and Stony like this.
  19. Stony

Stony Captain Trivia Game Winner

My mom and her siblings were picking cotton in the 30's and 40's.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)