White Oak Civil War Museum

zburkett

Sergeant Major
Don't miss it! The White Oak Museum is in Falmouth, Virginia right in the middle of where the Union Army camped 62/63 and contains tens of thousands of mostly dug artifacts from the many encampments. In addition to the shear numbers is the careful documentation of where they were found. One display is artifacts from a New York Zouave encampment with a polithera of buckles that they wore and the things they carried. Another is part of a plank road, reconstructed winter quarters, one inside set up as it was and one outside you can wander through, etc. It was more than I can absorb in one trip so I intend to go back several times. It is a little hard to find but more than worth the effort. If you are doing the Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville battlefields then the White Oak will give you a much deeper understanding. I can't believe I have lived in the area for years and am just now finding it. It's address is 985 White Oak Road, Falmouth, Virginia 22405. Phone 540-371-4234 Among the many nice things about the White Oak is they are nice people to talk to.

Last edited:
I should have added, if you had ancestors in the Army of the Potomac 62/63 and know who they were with White Oak can tell you where their encampment was and probably has more information about them.

It is a very nice museum and I'm sure it changed since I was there. I used to go up and relic hunt White Oak swamp when I was stationed at Ft. Lee. You need to check the link you posted as its not their link

Back