Discussion White Oak Civil War Museum and Stafford Research Center

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

NH Civil War Gal

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
https://emergingcivilwar.com/2016/07/22/ecw-weekender-the-white-oak-civil-war-museum-and-stafford-research-center/

This is definitely a place I want to go visit! This sounds fantastic! Who has been to it?

white-oak-museum-exterior.jpg

Exterior of the White Oak Civil War Museum & Stafford Research Center.

Countless museums dot the Virginia countryside. Their sizes vary from the impressive National Museum of the Marine Corps in Triangle to the quaint Weems-Botts Museum in Dumfires. One museum, thoug,h has always stood out to me as being the perfect mix of quaint and impressive. The White Oak Civil War Museum and Stafford Research Center is one of those off-the-beaten path gems that Civil War geeks salivate over.

My wife and I were first pointed in the direction of the museum in 2005, when we were interns at Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park. As we approached the museum we were not quite sure what to expect. A monument to the Federal 6th Corps’ winter encampment is perched in front of three flag poles, and an old school house. In the rear of the school we can see replicas of soldiers winter huts. The construction of the huts is impressive. They are clearly the right size and shape of the winter quarters we have read about numerous times, it was a real treat to see these domiciles meticulously brought back to life. But little did we know that the real treat waited inside.

bullets-white-oak-museum.jpg

A display of over 60,000 bullets dug from the local camps.

Mr. D.P. Newton is the owner, curator, and Civil War guru of the facility. It was his passion, and that of his friends, that transformed an old school house into a treasure trove of Civil War relics, and research.

dlavin

First Sergeant
Every year when we drive to and from our home to the outer banks in Nc, along i95 in Virginia are number signs for civil war museums that I’ve never heard of and not part of the larger battlefields. Be fun to visit them one day.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!