Lincoln White House visitors

cwebster4

Private
I'm curious to find out if there was a log kept of visitors to the President.
I'm aware security was not so tight in those days, and I know a visit to the president was as easy as showing up at the White House, but I'm curious if a log was kept.
I'm trying to find out if a specific person visited with Lincoln on a specific day.
According to a footnote in a book that has very poor citations he was visited on Jan 3, 1862.
The story is too incredible so I must find a way to confirm its veracity and possibly find out more of the story.
So my question is: Was a log kept of White House visitors in 1862?

Charlie Webster
Bordentown, NJ

You might try the White House Historical Association.
I gave them a try and they shot me down. Pointed me to NARA. No go. Who pointed me to LOC. No go. Is there a library or archives that is solely focused on Lincoln and his administration? I'm missing something here, but this is all a very new research area for me. The "meeting" is mentioned in Robert Bruce's "Lincoln and the Tools of War" Unfortunately, Robert Bruce left us terrible source notes. Its actually shameful, and I'm starting to think he may have concocted the story.
I'm open to any and all suggestions, so thank you for pointing me in that direction. I never would have thought about the WHHA.

Back