Longstreet While Eleanor's Away, Some Longstreet Each Day

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwesclark.com%2Fjw%2Fhelen_longstreet.jpg

Helen Dortch Longstreet, aged 80, working as a riveter and assembler in a Bell Aircraft bomber plant in Atlanta during World War II.

One of my favorite Longstreet stories...

When almost to the Emmittsburg Road, we reached and passed Gen'ls Longstreet and McLaws, who had wisely halted and allowed us to pass by. We greeted them with a cheer, to which both Gen'ls doffed their hats in salute. Longstreet called out, "Cheer less boys and fight more. Your work is up ahead - give them the steel!" Our feelings slightly injured at this mild rebuke, and heedless of his advice we nevertheless answered with yet another cheer. We soon reached and crossed the Emmitsburg Road and entered the large grove of peach trees.....

~ Captain James Lile Lemon, Co A 18th Georgia, Wofford's Brigade, McLaws' Division, Longstreet's Corps, ANV​

View attachment 142154

Helen Dortch Longstreet, aged 80, working as a riveter and assembler in a Bell Aircraft bomber plant in Atlanta during World War II.
Wow, what an awesome find!
She really was a remarkable lady!!
@War Horse, did you see that? Another puzzle piece to add to her admirable personality!

Here ya go @Eleanor Rose ......a very interesting lecture about Pete at Appomattox. Enjoy :biggrin:

I always found this interesting. With the hour at hand, it would have only been natural for both men to be concerned with his own destiny. Considering what they had to feel was a likely outcome. I'd say I can easily see why Longstreet would have preferred to fight it out. His faith in Grant's paid off.

Last edited:
When the war began Longstreet was stationed in New Mexico and, tendering his resignation, did his eastbound journey by land and sea. From Galveston he went to New Orleans by ship. On board of the same he´d meet Thomas Goree, a young Texan who´d serve on his staff throughout the war. Longstreet humorously wrote that their ship, sailing through Union-infested waters, actually was 'boarded' - by a Spanish mackerel that ended as their dinner.

Last edited:
View attachment 141395

I know he caught it for the beard, but I don't care ~ Berenger made a fine Longstreet.
Expired Image Removed
While our friend and Longstreet superfan @Eleanor Rose is on her vacation, I hope everyone will post a little something Longstreet-inspired: photos, anecdotes, trivia - anything to show a little love to Ol' Pete!

I do not know if that was said about Longstreet but it definitely was said about U.S.Grant.He saw a soldier hitting a horse and the soldier was severely punished.

I am very glad on my first day as a member of this site to comment on my secondfavorite person in the way, Longstreet.

First of all Berenger was brilliant. His handling of the scene with Armistead speaking of his last words with Hancock
before the war was superb. I also thought his control of the scene with actor Harrison early in the movie was fine.
"What have you got", he says.

I view Longstreet's wounding at the Wilderness as fate. He was rolling up Hancock hard and head he and Jenkins and
others not been shot - things could have gotten dire for Grant. I also view him nothaving Pickett's division on the second day at Gettysburg as fate. We seedown the years that any assistqance to the right of Ros Wright's Gerogians when they
hit the top of Cemetery Ridge would have been major trouble for Meade. But first, Posey, and then Mahone show
what cowards and imbeciles they were.

The best portrait of Longstreet hangs in the lobby of the museum at Chickamauga. Where he rolled up the Union
left, and had it not been for Thomas on Snodgrass Hill, would havebooted Rosecrans out of Chattanooga entirely.

How about bringing this thread back for a few little things now and then?

There were at least 7 men with the first name James in Longstreet`s West Point class in their first year. A year later they were only 5 and it apparently stayed like this. When they graduated the three lowest-ranking cadets of the class were all named James (including Longstreet).

How about bringing this thread back for a few little things now and then?

There were at least 7 men with the first name James in Longstreet`s West Point class in their first year. A year later they were only 5 and it apparently stayed like this. When they graduated the three lowest-ranking cadets of the class were all named James (including Longstreet).
She is away again.

Back