Longstreet While Eleanor's Away, Some Longstreet Each Day

amweiner

2nd Lieutenant
While our friend and Longstreet superfan @Eleanor Rose is on her vacation, I hope everyone will post a little something Longstreet-inspired: photos, anecdotes, trivia - anything to show a little love to Ol' Pete!

4e73eeab8a9f788eb7e19a73931b6820.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4e/73/ee/4e73eeab8a9f788eb7e19a73931b6820.jpg

Just one more reason why I really am a superfan!

"In the late rebellion, I think, not one charge was ever brought against General Longstreet for persecution of prisoners of war or of persons for their political opinions." ~General Grant to President Andrew Johnson after the war.

Signed Longstreet.jpg

@amweiner & @LoriAnn - It's a rainy day in Boston so you know I had to check in. The weather is soooo yucky we're actually planning to have dinner at the hotel tonight. Should be a great time for New England clam chowder and an Espresso martini! @nitrofd - We had Boston Cream Pie last night just as you suggested. Best ever!!! I went for the lobster on our first night in town! Tomorrow's forecast is sunny and upper sixties so we'll be back out and about. Miss you friends!

Just one more reason why I really am a superfan!

"In the late rebellion, I think, not one charge was ever brought against General Longstreet for persecution of prisoners of war or of persons for their political opinions." ~General Grant to President Andrew Johnson after the war.

View attachment 141553

@amweiner & @LoriAnn - It's a rainy day in Boston so you know I had to check in. The weather is soooo yucky we're actually planning to have dinner at the hotel tonight. Should be a great time for New England clam chowder and an Espresso martini! @nitrofd - We had Boston Cream Pie last night just as you suggested. Best ever!!! I went for the lobster on our first night in town! Tomorrow's forecast is sunny and upper sixties so we'll be back out and about. Miss you friends!
Glad your trip is working out,just try and be safe especially in foul weather.

cc469e3e2dd78ecab04bfb8eee3f3a41.jpg

The SS James Longstreet, a liberty ship of World War II named after the general. It was launched in 1942 and served until she ran ashore in a gale at Sandy Hook (NJ) 18 months later. Then she became a target ship for missiles and live ammunition. The Navy and Air Force utilized her as such until she sank in 1971. The wreck is still at Cape Cod (MA).

http://pinterest.com/gelongstreet

While our friend and Longstreet superfan @Eleanor Rose is on her vacation, I hope everyone will post a little something Longstreet-inspired: photos, anecdotes, trivia - anything to show a little love to Ol' Pete!

One of my favorite Longstreet quotes. Source Brainyquote

"Bad as was being shot by some of our own troops in the battle of the Wilderness, - that was an honest mistake, one of the accidents of war, - being shot at, since the war, by many officers, was worse."

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/james_longstreet.html

And as I have missed this thread up to now, I think I may add something else.
Coming from the preface of the book "Lee and Longstreet at High Tide", written by his second wife Helen Dortch Longstreet, I will attach this little gem.
You may accuse me of being a helpless sentimental romantic, but this passage always makes me swallow hard, each time I read it.:

upload_2017-6-8_17-35-48.png

https://archive.org/stream/mrsjameslong00helerich#page/8/mode/2up

I bet @FarawayFriend would enjoy this thread. :thumbsup:

I seem to remember reading somewhere (terribly vague, sorry) that Longstreet did not tolerate the mistreatment of horses. That stuck with me, mostly because when I read that someone is compassionate towards animals, I instantly like them.
I do not know if that was said about Longstreet but it definitely was said about U.S.Grant.He saw a soldier hitting a horse and the soldier was severely punished.

Back