Featured Which State Would You Fight For During The Civil War?

OK, I'll play.

If I knew what I know now I'd have joined some Union regiment somewhere. If I just happened to have been born 175 years ago then it would have been Virginia, Tennessee, or South Carolina for the CSA (depending on which side of the family we're talking about).

I do think many - in the South anyway in the first couple of years of the war - fought more for their state than the Confederacy (JMO; don't want to argue). I can relate to that and would like to think that's what I'd have done too had I been of age then.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
I had relatives in both the 72nd Ohio (Great, Great Uncles cousins etc) and the First Minnesota Light Artillery Battery my Great Great grandfather. I suppose I would go to the First MN Light Artillery since they mustered in just a couple miles from my home and I can still look at his Civil War diary on display in a small museum in rural Fillmore County MN and I have had the opportunity to say a prayer at his gravesite in Henrytown Pioneer Cemetary. Although his unit and my other relatives both fought in a lot of the same battles. Shiloh, Vicksburg, Altlanta North Carolina.

Vote Here:
I would join alongside my Great Grandfather and his 3 brothers in the 73rd Illinois Volunteer Regiment. One of the bothers was killed in the counter charge of Opdyke's Brigade which saved the break in the Union line at the Battle of Franklin and My Great Grandfather was shot through the mouth and spit out the musket ball and put it in his pocket. They later said it was the hardest thing they ever had to do was leave their brother behind badly wounded and continue in the charge. He died a few days later and was buried in Franklin. My Other Great Grandfather was John Hobbs and was a Lt in Grier's raid in the 6th Illinois Volunteer Calvery.

As I was growing up I heard many stories of the Civil War from both my father and mother who had heard them first hand from their own grandparents. None of them fought for, or against, slavery but to preserve the Union! I have the Regimental History of the 73rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry, known as the Preacher's Regiment since it was raise by Methodist Preachers, one of whom was their first Regimental Commander. They were also known in the Army as the Persimmon Regiment for their habit of falling out of the line of march to pick Persimmons!

DB Wright

Vote Here:
My handle might give some idea how I am to answer. My relatives at the time were living in the Mountains of western Virginia. Some fought in Blue, others in grey. One in blue executed his cousin in grey. They took their politics very seriously. Another made off with a Yankee colonel's horse, was caught and hanged by them as a horse thief. We don't know if he was a Confederate cavalryman trying for a remount or... just a horse thief.

But, I consider Lincoln as having been out of control and tyrannical and had I been there at the time would have had to take up arms in defense of freedom against him. So whether from Virginia or Texas (my current home and where we put down roots), I would have worn a coat of grey, or some reasonable facsimile thereof as could be supplied. ;>)

Vote Here:
My Ancestors were from OHIO at that time in our countries history. We kept moving further west starting after they landed in the 1700's. A member of my family has fought in every war this countries had since the Revolution. I myself did 20 years in the Marines. If I had a brain in my head knowing what I know now. I would fight for the south. Mainly NC not for slavery but for states rights. The slaves did need to be freed not sure Mr. Lincolns way to do it was the best. With over I believe 1 Million killed and Wounded is a very high price. Look at our country now with the Federal Government shoving its policies down our throats. States rights would sure be nice now.

Vote Here:
Union Virginia then West by God Virginia! :wavespin:

Yep, this right here! Dad's paternal great grandfathers served in the 63rd OVI and 32nd OVI, but Mom's 2nd great grandfather and 17 uncles were in the 8th Virginia (Union) Infantry, which later became the 7th West Virginia Cavalry. As a loyal Virginian or Ohioan, I would have joined the Union Army.

Vote Here:
Can't really say being an Aussie!

BUT I would loved to have been in Melbourne when the CSS Shenandoah came to town to replenish supplies (and manpower - 19 deserted but 40 stowed away and joined up). The local British authorities were in a dither what to do ... Refuse entry and been seen to support the North or allow entry and be seen to support the South!!! Eventually Britain paid damages to the U.S. Government for allowing entry and supporting the rebels. Confederate officers were treated like celebrities and a gala ball held in their honour.

Vote Here:
I'd be fighting for Tennessee. I was raised in the Pac NW and my father's paternal grandfather fought in the 13th Georgia. But I've lived in Tennessee for several years up to the present, and I have three Johnny Rebs from Tennessee on my mother's side.

Vote Here:
Back