Featured Which State Would You Fight For During The Civil War?

On a more serious note,

Why would I fight for a State? My ancestors who fought to establish this nation in 1776 fought under a declaration of independence that declared the independence of "we the PEOPLE", not " we the state(s)"

Their children fought to preserve the Nation their fathers fought to establish. I would do likewise.

Vote Here:
For a Union soldier, it would seem a bit contradictory to say he was fighting for his state. The Union cause was that there was something greater than an individual state which deserved one's primary loyalty.

Vote Here:
For a Union soldier, it would seem a bit contradictory to say he was fighting for his state. The Union cause was that there was something greater than an individual state which deserved one's primary loyalty.

Especially union soldiers that were from seceded states or states that while not seceded had strong confederate sympathies.

Vote Here:
upload_2015-4-10_12-33-59.jpeg

Georgia

Vote Here:
I was born in Virginia, then lived in Texas. But most of my life now has been in New York. I have a brother who stayed down south his whole life and he lives in Arkansas. A part of me would choose the South but I am sure New York would be a callin. Actually my ancestors are from Pennsylvania. My mother having an Uncle in the Civil War from Pennsylvania. It's a tough one. Maybe fighting for one side then fighting for another. Deserting in middle of the night. This is just a fun question right.

Vote Here:
Not many of them, most fought in State regiments raised by the States.

Wrong [the "Not many of them" part]. This is a basic historical fact. They were recruited by states, but they didn't fight for states. They fought for the national entities. Union soldiers were mustered into United States national service and confederate soldiers were mustered into confederate national service.

Vote Here:
I'd have to disguise myself as a man and fight in one of the Missouri Union militias. In this case, I would be fighting for my state, since most of the militias stayed here. We had a few divisions fighting elsewhere, but it doesn't seem like a lot of them did.

Vote Here:
Wrong. This is a basic historical fact. They were recruited by states, but they didn't fight for states. They fought for the national entities. Union soldiers were mustered into United States national service and confederate soldiers were mustered into confederate national service.

The South really screwed up by having the weird supply system that was run by states. Uniforms of all different color and cut supplied by the state you came from. If you were a North Carolinian, you were dressed well. Since NC was a hot bed for blockade runners, NC troops were very well supplied in terms of clothing.
Kentuckians were actual orphans, as were Texans, Arkansans and Louisianians who were East of the Mississippi River after it was closed to service.

I have read of Texans wearing there pants torn off at the knee as early as Sharpsburg. A functional pair of boots was said to draw stares in Hood's Texas Brigade.

Vote Here:
The South really screwed up by having the weird supply system that was run by states. Uniforms of all different color and cut supplied by the state you came from. If you were a North Carolinian, you were dressed well. Since NC was a hot bed for blockade runners, NC troops were very well supplied in terms of clothing.
Kentuckians were actual orphans, as were Texans, Arkansans and Louisianians who were East of the Mississippi River after it was closed to service.

I have read of Texans wearing there pants torn off at the knee as early as Sharpsburg. A functional pair of boots was said to draw stares in Hood's Texas Brigade.
pfcjking - ' NC troops were very well supplied in terms of clothing ' - this fact is slightly controversial, as I have only recently learnt that Governor Vance of North Carolina hoarded 92,000 Uniforms + vast quantities of blankets & shoe leather at a time when troops from other Confederate States went short ! NC's 42 textile factories gave her twice the output of the rest of the Confederacy put together,and yet her belief in States' Rights meant that she could see no further than supplying her own 'Sons'.

Vote Here:
Actually "States Rights" did run contrary to the War effort more than once in that Governors would withhold goods and supplies needed by the Central Government in Richmond for any Confederate Army in an attempt to either gain leverage such as insisting more troops from their state be sent home when a Federal threat/invasion occurred or was anticipated. Others actually felt it was their primary obligation to "only" supply their state's troops with their state's goods. There was a small action in the South Carolina low country that resulted in the repulse of a Federal incursion that likely would have gone the other way save for the fact officers worked out a "problem" in that Georgia Confederates gave pause when asked or ordered to move by train to nearby South Carolina to meet a Federal threat. Cooler and more level headed men held sway and the Georgia troops did travel the short distance to South Carolina and the combined force from both states defeated and turned back the Federal invasion force.

Vote Here:
Back