Which individuals were most instrumental in bringing about the Union victory?

Canadian

Sergeant
I honestly don’t know and am open to debate. I’ll start with some of the usual names, but there will be others.

I honestly don’t know and am open to debate. I’ll start with some of the usual names, but there will be others.
One could certainly nominate Jefferson Davis for firing on Ft.Sumter and unifying the North like no other politician could.
Quite a few of our more astute posters have argued that over the years.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
President Lincoln's detailed political approach in the first year of the war was important.
Grant and McClellan, were significant for different reasons. Grant provided a key combined arms breakthrough.
McClellan organized an army which survived fighting against the Confederacy in its best theater, with its best soldiers.
The first several battles in Virginia and Maryland were probably not going to be easy successes under any commander.

Vote Here:
you, sir, are biased - none of the guys in grey on your list (before you were forced to, that is) :whistling::D

smilie_girl_221.gif

Vote Here:
Arguably we can again nominate Jefferson Davis. The Confederate 1862 Conscription Act caused a massive amount of internal resistance to the Confederacy. I have a thread" Did Conscription help or hurt the Confederacy?".
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
Back