Which "ethnic" regiments are the the most represented in art works?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
It probably would not matter who your favorite Civil War artist is, they have probably did at least a couple painting of the 69th New York. Many artists who do uniform illustrations, also have done one or more illustration of the 69th New York or 79th New York. So which "ethic"regiment is the most illustrated regiment?

I do not own every book on Civil War uniform art works. I do keep a spread sheet on uniform studies. My spread sheet has 22 color illustrations of the 69th New York uniforms and 24 color illustrations of the 79th New York. These numbers do not include painting which show Civil War battles and I also have several black and white uniform studies of both the 69th New York and 79th New York.

Mort Kunstler lived on Long Island and I met him once at our CWRT. He said that the most commericially viable painting would be the Irish Brigade marching in the snow at night illuminated by light from homes with Lee and Jackson on a hill in the foreground looking down at them. He meant it as a joke, but he clearly thought of the Irish Brigade image as a salebale commodity.

Last edited:
Back