Which army would you have wanted to serve with?

Which army would you rather fight with?

• Army of the Valley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Department of Richmond

• Department of Eastern North Carolina

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kind of a foolish poll, I wasn't aware CS soldiers were given a choice, they went where their Regiment was sent. Real soldiers didn't get to pick and choose.

I wasn't picking, I'd end up in the trans mississippi army probaly so i just guessed, sorry for any miss comunicatio.... I think he meant which one interests you the most.

Kind of a foolish poll, I wasn't aware CS soldiers were given a choice, they went where their Regiment was sent. Real soldiers didn't get to pick and choose.

Well since the whole idea of us (living today) serving in the CSA is just an idea.....what does it matter if considered foolish?

Not where I "Want" to serve but it would be probable that I would have served in the 26 Alabama Infantry in the Army of Northern Virgina since most of my imediate straight line ancestors did.

I wasn't picking, I'd end up in the trans mississippi army probaly so i just guessed, sorry for any miss comunicatio.... I think he meant which one interests you the most.

As a Missourian if you went off in 1861-through early 1862 and joined the CSA regiments, you would probably have ended up serving in the Army of the Tennessee. Van Dorn stripped the Trans-Mississippi to send them east of the river. Enlisting from about April 1862 on one could remain in the TM.

I probably would have served in the Trans-Mississippi theater in the Army of the West in one of the Texas cavalry regiments in James M. McIntosh's Cavalry Brigade. Second choice would be in Hood's Texas Brigade in the Army of Northern Virginia but I probably wouldn't have survived that.

Second choice would be in Hood's Texas Brigade in the Army of Northern Virginia but I probably wouldn't have survived that.

Nope, you probably wouldn't have and I know you know the numbers! Given a choice, I would probably have negotiated with the Yanks, rather than firing on Sumpter, hindsight being 20/20.

Since my closest related Rebel ancestors served in Longstreet's command I'll go with that. His men seemed to love him also. Even in his pariah days of the post war at reunions his men still adored him. Says a lot.

Back