Discussion Where would you go!!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

dhh712

Private
If it's as an observer (like not physically there), I'd go back to September 14th 1862 and watch the battle of South Mountain so I can actually see my dear D.H. Hill and hear how his voice sounded. If I had to live in that time, then I'd go back to 2014.

Lubliner

First Sergeant
Do I have to physically live in that time period? If so, I would stay in 2019. I like having air conditioning, the internet, Spotify, indoor plumbing, and not having to drink feces-infested water. Also, I am a woman, and I would prefer to never wear a corset and bulky dresses.

If I could just sort of “lift the veil” and eavesdrop on a different time period, I would watch to see where General Edward Braddock’s men buried the British Army’s gold in the 1750’s just before the start of the Battle of the Monongahela. Then, I would return to that spot in 2019 and recover the gold.

Or, I would watch to see where the Confederate gold was supposedly hidden after the fall of Richmond. Then, I would recover it in 2019.
I believe you have touched a primal chord of interest here among many. Advanced studies by historiographers attempt to do so all the time. In fact the paradox of Schrodinger's cat is an example of lifting the veil. The problem we experience is that the one's we study look back at us. Now presuppose you did desire to seek a hiding place for something you yourself held valuable. The ends of the means are deceit, bluff, cover-up, etc., in proving your own hiding place from invisible eyes. Then trying to divinate the reactions of any seekers attempting to discover it. These are solid examples of that 'torn curtain' of the temple that occurred in 33 A. D., making manifest opportunities in 2019 A. D. Here is a link to the paradox. One must believe the 'Spirit of the Word' lives forever. Principle Idea.

JPChurch

Sergeant
I took this photo of a DeLorean inside a Fredericksburg neighborhood, a very short walk from the Fredericksburg Confederate Cemetery and also a very short walk from Kenmore, the home of George Washington's sister, Betty Washington Lewis. Perhaps Marty McFly did go back to visit the Civil War.
View attachment 325002
Wow!!! that Delorean's been sitting for a while.......note flat spots on the tires, something not safe to drive............

Story

First Sergeant
I would pick right now thankyou don't want to see heartbreak and suffering.

I think you will be astounded how Brutal the world was even 70 years ago* so going even further back no thankyou.
From the jawbone of an a.s.s. to the Atom bomb, this planet has always seen the brutality of our species along with the associated heartbreak and suffering.

The different epochs merely change the flavor of such.

* Great African War (1998-2003) - 5.4 million lives extinguished due to it, but we know more about the Kardashians than what happened along the Congo River.

At the end of the King Philip's War in Southern New England (the 1675/76 war they don't teach you about in History class between the European Colonists and the local Native Americans), a Rhode Island militia captain named Ben Church captured a very old Indian, and one of the last of the Indian fighters, named Anawam. Late that night while most of the men were sleeping, Anawam got up and wondered off. Thinking he'd gone to relieve himself, Church waited. A very long time later, Anawam came back carrying the "royalties" (probably a wampum belt, stole, and crown) that had belonged to "King Philip," the leader of the Native Americans and the son of Massasoit (his Indian name was Metacom or Metacomet).

Anawam presented these royalties to Church because King Philip had been killed (shot by a Christian Indian), and the war was essentially lost. Church was startled when Anawam began to talk to him in English, saying that he was giving the royalties to Church because he had won the battle. Church promised to speak for Anawam with the colonial government, asking them for mercy for him. Anawam then proceeded to spend the rest of the night telling Church about the Wampanoag, and what it had been like before the whites came, what it was like to be with Massasoit when they arrived, and about fighting alongside King Philip. They spoke until dawn.

I wish I could have heard that conversation.

Sadly, Church sent Anawam on to Plymouth, and by the time Church was able to get there, Anawam had already been executed by firing squad. Church wrote about it in his dictated memoirs.

It is much tidier and more pleasant to stay with the memory of the Pilgrims and the friendly Indians at the First Thanksgiving, but sadly, that's not where the story ended.

Ethan S.

Private
That would be a good question, let me think here...

I would like to go back to 1861, and join up and fight. I'll leave y'all t' guess with who! :wink:

Or, I would go back to 1941, and fight for the U.S.A.

Or I could help my 5x great grandfather fight with the 3rd Battalion Northumberland Militia during the revolutionary war.

Or I could go back to 1960, when I could buy a confederate uniform for $100 or less, and metal detect unhunted ground.

Or...

Ethan S.

Private
My wife and I were at the 150th at Gettysburg and the re-enactment of Pickett’s Charge was amazing. If I could stay reasonably safe, which is unlikely, I would want to be with Cushing. I can only imagine the sights and sounds.
As crazy as this sounds, if I had one spot to go back in time to, it would be at Pickets charge with Armistead.

Rusk County Avengers

First Sergeant
Forum Host
If I had a time traveling DeLorean, (I have always wanted a DeLorean just for laughs), my first prerogative would be to change the tires and possibly suspension so I could get up to 88 mph off road. But I would load up with medicine, several CW memoirs and best books on it and maybe an AK-47 and ammo for self protection, and a .50 BMG for hunting, oh and scotch and my favorite beer. Now for the itinerary:

1. Stop by and watch several Trans-Mississippi battles, maybe even take part for bragging rights here on CWT.

2. After a quick trip to the present to see if anything has changed, assuming I survived, before going back to the CW and giving the memoirs and history books to Jefferson Davis, (take that Braxton Bragg!!!!!), and the officers of the ANV because I'm a real jacka** by nature.

3. Return to the present, assuming I and the DeLorean would still exist after such a massive change in the timeline and come to the present to how everything changed. If World History has unraveled in a satisfactory manner, I'll just go back in time to the dinosaurs to fulfill a child hood dream and hunt some Velociraptors, or a T-Rex, and either return to the now altered present with either a Velociraptor or two strapped to the hood, or a T-Rex head in their place, and in the process see if my little indulgent hunt will alter time like it did in the short-story "A Sound of Thunder" or if time will go completely bats**** crazy like in the cheap laughable Sci-Fi channel TV adaptation.

Now if World History is incredibly screwed up by my meddling in the CW, I will go forth and find a person who more the likely doesn't exist in the our timeline, who is a body builder and a person you don't mess with, load him up in the DeLorean, go back to the CW a few hours before I originally did, disguise him as a soldier or something or other, (me meeting up with my past self could be a bad paradox) and give him a note to hand to my past self that he does not want to meddle with the CW's results, and after its read, the lackey proceed to beat my past self to a bloody pulp to ensure I don't meddle with the timeline. Chances are I, the lackey, and my DeLorean would disappear, but my past self would eventually become an enlightened me, who could come back here, (after that version's Velociraptor hunt), and tell everyone here on CWT "No THIS is what would have happened if the Confederacy won the War, (I'm sure someone would still argue), and brag with a vengeance because I got to go back and see the CW firsthand.

That is probably a short version of how horribly bad an idea it would be to hand me the keys to a time-traveling DeLorean. Many, many bad things would happen, for instance someone make me mad, well I might travel back to pay they're parents a visit...

Yeah me with the ability to time-travel would result in all sorts of bad shenanigans.

EDIT: Oh and yeah I would be borrowing some top of the line cameras from some folks I know in the film industry so I could catch all my shenanigans on film. Gotta have a record of it.

Ethan S.

Private
If I had a time traveling DeLorean, (I have always wanted a DeLorean just for laughs), my first prerogative would be to change the tires and possibly suspension so I could get up to 88 mph off road. But I would load up with medicine, several CW memoirs and best books on it and maybe an AK-47 and ammo for self protection, and a .50 BMG for hunting, oh and scotch and my favorite beer. Now for the itinerary:

1. Stop by and watch several Trans-Mississippi battles, maybe even take part for bragging rights here on CWT.

2. After a quick trip to the present to see if anything has changed, assuming I survived, before going back to the CW and giving the memoirs and history books to Jefferson Davis, (take that Braxton Bragg!!!!!), and the officers of the ANV because I'm a real jacka** by nature.

3. Return to the present, assuming I and the DeLorean would still exist after such a massive change in the timeline and come to the present to how everything changed. If World History has unraveled in a satisfactory manner, I'll just go back in time to the dinosaurs to fulfill a child hood dream and hunt some Velociraptors, or a T-Rex, and either return to the now altered present with either a Velociraptor or two strapped to the hood, or a T-Rex head in their place, and in the process see if my little indulgent hunt will alter time like it did in the short-story "A Sound of Thunder" or if time will go completely bats**** crazy like in the cheap laughable Sci-Fi channel TV adaptation.

Now if World History is incredibly screwed up by my meddling in the CW, I will go forth and find a person who more the likely doesn't exist in the our timeline, who is a body builder and a person you don't mess with, load him up in the DeLorean, go back to the CW a few hours before I originally did, disguise him as a soldier or something or other, (me meeting up with my past self could be a bad paradox) and give him a note to hand to my past self that he does not want to meddle with the CW's results, and after its read, the lackey proceed to beat my past self to a bloody pulp to ensure I don't meddle with the timeline. Chances are I, the lackey, and my DeLorean would disappear, but my past self would eventually become an enlightened me, who could come back here, (after that version's Velociraptor hunt), and tell everyone here on CWT "No THIS is what would have happened if the Confederacy won the War, (I'm sure someone would still argue), and brag with a vengeance because I got to go back and see the CW firsthand.

That is probably a short version of how horribly bad an idea it would be to hand me the keys to a time-traveling DeLorean. Many, many bad things would happen, for instance someone make me mad, well I might travel back to pay they're parents a visit...

Yeah me with the ability to time-travel would result in all sorts of bad shenanigans.
So basically you wanna kill us all? :smile:

damYankee

1st Lieutenant
I would (with my supply of antibiotics) travel with my g g g grandfather James Wilson Ingram on the epic trip he took the family on by wagon in 1852 from Washington County Arkansas to Jackson County Oregon. Although it would be a strenuous trip, as several family members died, They don't make that tough anymore.

John Winn

Captain
I would (with my supply of antibiotics) travel with my g g g grandfather James Wilson Ingram on the epic trip he took the family on by wagon in 1852 from Washington County Arkansas to Jackson County Oregon. Although it would be a strenuous trip, as several family members died, They don't make that tough anymore.

What happened to James ? I don't find him buried in Jackson County or any records for him here (but do see a James in Lincoln County of the correct era). As you may know I do restoration work and research at an historic cemetery in Jackson County. I am always interested to hear about those who came out on the wagon trains. As you say, they don't make them that tough any more.

Last edited:

SWMODave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Thread Medic
i would go to the civil war w/ the knowledge that i have
If I could go back with the knowledge I have now, it would probably be the day Bitcoin went on sale for next to nothing - it trades for over 10 grand today.

Still wouldn't understand it - but I would too rich to care :wink: