Discussion Where would you go!!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

kel1985

1st Lieutenant
The Civil War era obviously, but I also thought that the time of the trappers and western explorers (ala Lewis and Clark) would have been a great time, albeit a hard one, to be alive.

santaisreal

Cadet
Cherry Mansion on the morning of April 6, 1862. I really want to know if Grant ran and hid while his subordinates bailed out the drunken Grant yet again or he calmly said he needed to board his ship and get to Pittsburg Landing.

Joseph A. Rose is free to come along.

JPChurch

Sergeant
Earlier times like late 1600's to late 1700's and early 1800's. I have many ancestors from this time period. Researching their history is mind boggling. There was one guy that took part in the battle that captured King Phillip and the subsequent massacre of the rest of his gang of followers. Nasty stuff back in New England back then

Do I have to physically live in that time period? If so, I would stay in 2019. I like having air conditioning, the internet, Spotify, indoor plumbing, and not having to drink feces-infested water. Also, I am a woman, and I would prefer to never wear a corset and bulky dresses.

If I could just sort of “lift the veil” and eavesdrop on a different time period, I would watch to see where General Edward Braddock’s men buried the British Army’s gold in the 1750’s just before the start of the Battle of the Monongahela. Then, I would return to that spot in 2019 and recover the gold.

Or, I would watch to see where the Confederate gold was supposedly hidden after the fall of Richmond. Then, I would recover it in 2019.

John Winn

Captain
I've often thought of such scenarios but I'd only go back to a previous era if I was just there as an observer and wouldn't be subject to the actual physical environment of the times. It would be cool if somehow I cold smell the smells, taste the tastes, etc. without having to worry about my health or mortality. If I had to actually live in the past times, no thanks.

I can think of many historical questions that might be answered if only I could witness what really happened but in the end if I only had one shot I'd go for one of a number of family-oriented events. It would be hard to select just one but I think it would be a tie between what happened to my gg grandfather (of avatar fame) in Richmond just before and after Richmond fell and maybe one of the meetings between his grandfather, John Winn, and Thomas Jefferson who was a neighbor and friend. I really wonder if ggg grandpa was one of the few who witnessed TJ's burial (estimated to have been maybe 40 persons). The brother of my other ggg grandfather was the man who put TJ in his coffin. So, it would be a hard choice to make.