Where Will You Visit After The Virus?

I hope my first stop can be the Old Gray Cemetery in Knoxville, Tennessee. I'm certain my gr-gr-gr-grandmother was buried there but as she died during the occupation of Knoxville the churches were mostly closed and we have no record of her burial. It took me months of research to get her death date - now I'm determined to find where she was buried.

I hope my first stop can be the Old Gray Cemetery in Knoxville, Tennessee. I'm certain my gr-gr-gr-grandmother was buried there but as she died during the occupation of Knoxville the churches were mostly closed and we have no record of her burial. It took me months of research to get her death date - now I'm determined to find where she was buried.
I have actually been to that cemetery is very nice. I live about 3 hours away from Knoxville.

You took the words out of my mouth! Is there some place that I can invest in the travel industry? 😁 I see a future boom.
I saw an article recently that used the term "revenge travel" - as in we're all going to want to make up for lost time in revenge against the virus. Certainly the hospitality industry hopes we all hit the road and make up for their lost revenues

We’ve usually trekked to Gettysburg once a month for the past 30 years! We made a day trip last in August 2020! So, to start, Gettysburg, then HarpersFerry/Sharpsburg, Shenandoah Valley and on and on!

Which cemeteries will you visit and photograph after the virus has been contained? I myself plan to continue to visit some of the ones where Generals are buried maybe some more out west. The one I would really love to be able to visit are in Bronx and Brooklyn New York.
Been meaning to respond to this for a few days but got busy. Great question. I can't even think in terms of "when all this is over" not knowing how long that might be. Anyone following my posts here knows that cemetery visits in Texas was about the extent of my ACW travels last year except the CWT Muster at Shiloh. I have spent most of January scouring Central and some East Texas cemeteries and found some great stuff. Got quite a list of cemeteries lined up for visits in the next few months. Weather permitting, I will be visiting 2 tomorrow. Looks like Texas cemetery visits will the extent of my ACW field trips the next few months.

If we are able to pull off the CWT Muster at Antietam this fall, that is a Bucket List item for me. Never been to Sharpsburg and Antietam National Cemetery is very high on my list. This past Thanksgiving, my spouse and I discussed a road trip to Tennessee for Thanksgiving this year, particularly Franklin and Nashville. Been to Franklin twice but never on the anniversary of the battle. My only visit to Nashville was a half day in June 2017 and I went to Fort Negley, Shy's Hill and the Texas Lunette. A visit to Nashville National Cemetery and Mount Olivet Cemetery is high on the list. That would be an all day affair for me. We are shooting for that road trip this year.

Is the CWT muster during the battle anniversary days? For years that was a “must do”trip for us, but waned when Sharpsburg scaled down (and I believe have now stopped the in town celebration).

Antietam is a favorite place of mine to visit, plus a short drive away, is Harpers Ferry, and the Shenandoah Valley.

Is the CWT muster during the battle anniversary days? For years that was a “must do”trip for us, but waned when Sharpsburg scaled down (and I believe have now stopped the in town celebration).
Nothing is for certain yet.

I had plenty of time on my cold hands during last week's Arctic lockdown and 5 additional cemeteries got added to this year's (hopefully) itinerary. The furthest is a little over 2 hours from my house. No waiting until after the virus is contained. Probably pack a lunch and picnic in a cemetery on the next couple of daytrips, whenever they may be.

Anywhere but home. I am thinking of a good Chinese restaurant. Nashville for sure. I have friends there.
Not only Civil War related, but just to go somewhere! Being from PA, we have alternated between restaurants being open, being closed and so forth!

We did take a Saturday drive to Gettysburg last summer, and for August, there were few out on the battlefield, which was nice.

To Hell with COVID, I'm headed back to Gettysburg and the National Cemetery as soon as it warms up a tad and it stops snowing everyday here in SE Penna. Also Evergreen Cemetery is very nice and quiet. It is loaded with local history.

Back