Where was John S. Mosby during Lee's retreat towards Appomattox?

I suspect they disbanded and went into hiding , Mosby was termed a guerrilla so in effect if caught he could be hung although he found out later after the surrender that the same terms applied to him and his men.

Barring that I haven't a clue.

In my opinion.

Mosby & his men were not anywhere near Lee and Appomattox. They would not have been covered by Lee's surrender. Afterwords, Confederate troops in the Valley and elsewhere in Virginia were offered similar terms to what Lee accepted. Mosby saw his name on a wanted poster, but received an unofficial letter from a federal officer (IIRC) stating he could surrender.

He chose not to, but suggested that his men ride to Winchester(?) and lay down their arms. Many of them did

As far as I know, Mosby and his rangers were still active in Mosby's Confederacy. Hancock who at that time was headquartered in Winchester sent him a letter that if he surrendered he'd receive the same terms as Lee had been given. On April 21, 1865, Mosby disbanded his rangers. Some rode to Winchester the following day to be parolled, then returned home. Mosby, however, rode south with some to join Johnston's army. Before he reached them, though, he learned that Johnston too had surrendered. He evaded capture until June. On June 17, after his arrest order (there was a bounty on his head) had been rescinded, he surrendered.

Back