Where was General McDowell's Headquarters During the Battle?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
I think during the march his headquarters was at the crossroads of the Warrenton Turnpike and the road that Hunter/Heintzelman moved up to make their flanking march (if there was a name it escapes me). Once the battle was commenced he moved across Bull Run and at that point I'm not sure if or where he established a physical headquarters.

So, a possibility of both McDowell and Pope with headquarters in the saddle?

Last edited:

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I hope someone can help me with a quick question - Where was General McDowell's headquarters during the Battle of First Manassas?
I think during the march his headquarters was at the crossroads of the Warrenton Turnpike and the road that Hunter/Heintzelman moved up to make their flanking march (if there was a name it escapes me). Once the battle was commenced he moved across Bull Run and at that point I'm not sure if or where he established a physical headquarters.

So, a possibility of both McDowell and Pope with headquarters in the saddle?
dsc03560-jpg.jpg

According to the NPS ranger, McDowell arrived here on Matthews Hill in the wake of David Hunter's leading division, in time to witness the retreat of Bee, Bartow, and Evans and what he supposed was the rout of the Confederate army. Hunter's and Heintzelman's divisions marched from Sudley Springs on the Manassas-Sudley Road, the sunken bed of which follows the north-south/right-to-left power line visible in the middle distance in my above photo.

[QUOTE="Old Bay, post: 1137841, member: 3131.

So, a possibility of both McDowell and Pope with headquarters in the saddle?[/QUOTE]

In McDowell's case, it wasn't in the saddle, but in a buggy. He stayed at the intersection of the Warrenton Turnpike and the cut off a little west of Cub Run just long enough to tell Howard to keep his brigade in reserve until he called for it. Then he followed Hunter's and Heintzelman's divisions along the 7-mile route to Sudley Springs, where he oversaw the battle in person.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!