Where the Money Is ... and Isn't

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
paydigest.png
According to a little 57 page booklet entitled: Army Pay Digest and Ready Calculator, or Regimental Pay Table (1863), the pay of a Major General was $2,640 a year, and he was entitled to fifteen rations a day. The rations, calculated at 30 cents each, net the sum of $1,430, making his aggregate emolument $4,070. He is also entitled to four servants, whose rations (one each) he could also commute if they were not used, and to five horses, for which he can draw 40 cents each day (whether he actually keeps that many or not). When he is Commander in Chief, or commander of a separate Army in the field, or commander of a Department, he is entitled to double rations, amounting to $1,738.

Privates in cavalry, artillery, and infantry, on the other hand, along with second class privates in sappers, miners, and pontoniers, corporals of heavy artillery and infantry, and buglers in cavalry receive each $13 a month and one ration per day. Privates, musicians, artificers, and noncommissioned officers in the volunteer services are allowed $3.50 a month for clothing. One dollar a month is held back from each private’s pay, until the expiration of his term of service. It will be handed to him when he is mustered out (less any fines or debts he may have accumulated).

Between these extremes is a vast and fascinating story. There are dozens of different ratings, each carefully itemized.

We learn, for instance, that female nurses in general hospitals are allowed 40 cents a day and one ration. One steward, ten nurses and two cooks are allowed to each regiment of infantry; and two stewards, twelve nurses, and two cooks to each regiment of cavalry. Female nurses and matrons are not allowed in regimental hospitals. Furthermore, every officer making over $50 a month has to pay a 3% tax on all income over that amount.

I remember when I first enlisted in the Army in 1971 at 18 years old. My first partial pay was $35.00 and I was marched down to the PX with the rest of my company to spend it on toothpaste, razors, underwear, etc.

My first month's pay was $118.oo for a lowly private E-1. Then President Nixon's wage and price controls ended and my next month's pay was $232.00 for the month! I almost fainted in front of the pay officer when it was my turn in the pay line! I thought to myself, "What am I going to do with all that money?"

Then I got married and found out. :smile:

IMHO, it's not enough for anyone who has to fight...but a good thread! My own avatar, the real Rhett Butler (George Trenholm) made a fortune during the war...and at war's end, was the richest man in the South.

Back