Where should be my next destination?

I like Antietam (it's close to Gettysburg and Harper's Ferry), The Fredericksburg Battlefields (Wilderness, Fredericksburg, Spottylvania and Chancellorsville) are all very close and make for several good days of exploring (and don't forget Salem Church and Guinea Station are there too)...Richmond has a ton of nearby battlefields worth checking out if you have a few days.

How is Richmond and the museum of the Confederacy?
I didn't make it to the Museum of the Confederacy when I was there, but Tredegar Works was pretty cool as were the battlefields I hit there, they weren't all built up which for me made it was a great time.

I would recommend the Museum of the Confederacy and the White House of the Confederacy when you are in Richmond. Also everyone may want to know that the new Museum of the Confederacy at Appomattox is to have grand opening on March 31. There is to be a special ceremony. If we lived in area, we would go.

If you are in Richmond and if you like old beautiful homes and estates, I recommend a tour of the James River Plantations along Virginia Route 5 in Charles City County, Virginia. It is a road between Richmond and historic Williamsburg. There are five beautiful plantations: Sherwood Forrest, Westover, Shirley, Evelynton and Berkeley.

Charles City County was established in 1619 and the plantations and farms along this road have survived the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812. and the Civil War. Charles City has been the home to Benjamin Harrison, Presidents William Henry Harrison and John Tyler. General Robert E. Lee spent much of his boyhood here and agriculturist Edmund Ruffin, who fired the first shot of the Civil War, practiced his innovative techniques on Charles City soil. Lott Cary, the first black American missionary to Africa and founding father of Liberia was born here.

Depending on time limit....travel...G/B...down the road half hour 45 min...Antietam...down the road..Harpers Ferry another 30 min....Fredricksburg area..Chancelorsville ...Wilderness...Salem Church and finished off at Guiney Station...Jackson's Death place....took off a wk...had ample time to visit all places

I would recommend the Museum of the Confederacy and the White House of the Confederacy when you are in Richmond. Also everyone may want to know that the new Museum of the Confederacy at Appomattox is to have grand opening on March 31. There is to be a special ceremony. If we lived in area, we would go.

If you are in Richmond and if you like old beautiful homes and estates, I recommend a tour of the James River Plantations along Virginia Route 5 in Charles City County, Virginia. It is a road between Richmond and historic Williamsburg. There are five beautiful plantations: Sherwood Forrest, Westover, Shirley, Evelynton and Berkeley.

Charles City County was established in 1619 and the plantations and farms along this road have survived the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812. and the Civil War. Charles City has been the home to Benjamin Harrison, Presidents William Henry Harrison and John Tyler. General Robert E. Lee spent much of his boyhood here and agriculturist Edmund Ruffin, who fired the first shot of the Civil War, practiced his innovative techniques on Charles City soil. Lott Cary, the first black American missionary to Africa and founding father of Liberia was born here.

Richmond is a great place from which to see Civil War sites, as donna mentioned--you have the sites from the Peninsula Campaign, Seven Days Battles, and Petersburg close by, plus Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville/Overland Campaign sites within about an hour's drive north, plus Appomattox to the east.

IF you want a break from Civil War stuff (I know...that's almost sacreligious to mention on this site!) you also have the Colonial/Revolutionary "Historic Triangle" within an hour southeast of Richmond; Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, and Yorktown. Drive another hour to the east and you can take a beach break at Virginia Beach.

Back