In the Field Where My First Cs Buckle Came From

screlichunter

Private
Ok, get ready for this one... This house is where my grandfather grew up... He was born in 1896... Mules and Wagons, Kerosene lamps, outhouses, outdoor wells with a bucket, hog parlors, cypress shingled roofs... they made it by living off the land aand farming...
about five yrs ago, my older cousin who still lives at this house was sitting on his back porch when a storm came up n out of nowhere one of the giant limbs out of the 700 yr old oak tree behind his house broke loose and landed on his porch/kitchen area... There was a lot of broken trust and slats along with busted tin... Luckily he was not hurt... When he went to go out the screen door to his porch, something was wedged bw the bottom of the door and the steps... when he reached around the crack of the door and dislodged it, it was a CS buckle... i believe someone sat it up on a slat of the roof and when the limb fell, it shook the buckle out...
i was not working at the time but i had roofing exoerience... i really had no idea if the buckle was real or not but he tokd me if i would fix the roof, i could have the buckle... that is how i got my first buckle... i do not have pictures of the buckle at this time bc it is locked up safe but i plan to upload the picture of it tomorrow... i was told it is a wheelers calvary buckle... i have had offers on it but i think it is priceless...
anyway, ik this story seems to good to be true but i couldnt make this up...
hope you yankees n rebels enjoy...

20190903_153737.jpg

20190903_153916.jpg

20190903_153918.jpg

20190903_153858.jpg

20190903_154018.jpg

20190903_154156.jpg

20190903_154027.jpg

Wow! That's gotta be the best story I've ever heard about finding a buckle. Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. It seems like "someone" really wanted you to find that buckle they left up in the attic and went to an awful lot of trouble to be sure you did. Too bad about the roof and trusses. I'm sure that was no fun to have to repair. But sounds like it was definitely worth it! I'm not a construction person by any stretch, but I'd give it a shot for a real CS buckle. :D Cant wait to see the pictures! Thanks again.

Wow! That's gotta be the best story I've ever heard about finding a buckle. Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. It seems like "someone" really wanted you to find that buckle they left up in the attic and went to an awful lot of trouble to be sure you did. Too bad about the roof and trusses. I'm sure that was no fun to have to repair. But sounds like it was definitely worth it! I'm not a construction person by any stretch, but I'd give it a shot for a real CS buckle. :D Cant wait to see the pictures! Thanks again.
it was not in the attic, but on a heart pine board above the steps... 2nd pic from top... u may have to turn ur phone so the pic is rightside up, but i believe it was sitting on the heart pine board above the steps that runs parralell to the siding on the house.. i think it was fate that i got ir bc i was digging hard for one for a long time n it jus happens that it came off my family property n i had walked under that buvkle many times.. drank many beer n smoked many ciggarets almost under it b4 i quit.. will post tomorrow

Ok, get ready for this one... This house is where my grandfather grew up... He was born in 1896... Mules and Wagons, Kerosene lamps, outhouses, outdoor wells with a bucket, hog parlors, cypress shingled roofs... they made it by living off the land aand farming...
about five yrs ago, my older cousin who still lives at this house was sitting on his back porch when a storm came up n out of nowhere one of the giant limbs out of the 700 yr old oak tree behind his house broke loose and landed on his porch/kitchen area... There was a lot of broken trust and slats along with busted tin... Luckily he was not hurt... When he went to go out the screen door to his porch, something was wedged bw the bottom of the door and the steps... when he reached around the crack of the door and dislodged it, it was a CS buckle... i believe someone sat it up on a slat of the roof and when the limb fell, it shook the buckle out...
i was not working at the time but i had roofing exoerience... i really had no idea if the buckle was real or not but he tokd me if i would fix the roof, i could have the buckle... that is how i got my first buckle... i do not have pictures of the buckle at this time bc it is locked up safe but i plan to upload the picture of it tomorrow... i was told it is a wheelers calvary buckle... i have had offers on it but i think it is priceless...
anyway, ik this story seems to good to be true but i couldnt make this up...
hope you yankees n rebels enjoy...

View attachment 323996

View attachment 323997

View attachment 323998

View attachment 323999

View attachment 324000

View attachment 324001

View attachment 324002

20190904_185317.jpg

20190904_185324.jpg

20190904_185317.jpg

20190904_185324.jpg

Back