Where is Moscow, Georgia?

SaraSibley

Private
My Great Great Grandfather, Hiram Luther Sibley, was a lieutenant in the 116th O.V.I, Company B. Here is an excerpt from a book written about the "One Hundred And Sixteenth O.V.I., in which Hiram Sibley is quoted:

"I was a lieutenant in Company 'B' 116th O.V.I. Resigned the County Common Pleas clerk's office, in Meigs County, O., to go into service, under the second call for 300,000 men in 1862. Was captured with part of General R.H. Milroy's command, near Winchester, Va., June 15, 1863, by the advance (Ewell's corps) of Lee's army. June 22nd I went to Libby. May 7, 1864, I went out, going to Danville, Va., about a week, and thence to Moscow, Ga., where I stayed till July 30, when I was taken to Savannah. There I was kept till September 13th, when I was carried to Charleston, S.C., and put 'under fire' (from our bombardment of the city) until October 5th, when I was taken to what came to be know as 'Camp Sorghum, about three miles from Columbia, S.C. There I stayed until December 9, 1864, when, as one of the "sick or wounded," I was taken back to Charleston and the next day (the 10th) was exchanged, being a prisoner eighteen months, lacking five days."

My question here: where is Moscow, GA? Was there a Confederate prison there? When I Google Moscow, GA, all I get is info about the Russian City .

Attachments

• Danville, VA Officers Prison - Confederate.jpg
    Danville, VA Officers Prison - Confederate.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Libby Prison, Richmond, VA .jpg
    Libby Prison, Richmond, VA .jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
I couldn't find it, either. I found a list of all municipalities in the state of Georgia and it wasn't listed. I wonder if the name has been changed or if the town has simply disappeared. Sometimes that happens. I imagine a native Georgian will come along with an answer for you. Welcome from Missouri.

I couldn't find it, either. I found a list of all municipalities in the state of Georgia and it wasn't listed. I wonder if the name has been changed or if the town has simply disappeared. Sometimes that happens. I imagine a native Georgian will come along with an answer for you. Welcome from Missouri.
Thanks so much for looking! Perhaps it was a nick name they gave the prison.

Thanks so much for looking! Perhaps it was a nick name they gave the prison.
You are most welcome! We need to keep this thread and its inquiry alive until we hear from one of those older, deep-rooted Georgians who knows what has happened to town names in his or her state. Several town names have changed in my home state of Missouri, so I know this happened. Now we need to be patient until a gray-headed Georgian clicks in! I think it'll happen!

Civil War Map of Confed POW Camps.jpg

I think I have reached the conclusion that "Moscow" is actually "Macon" GA. There was a prison camp there called Camp Oglethorpe. I found this map at the Library of Congress website, and bingo, there was Macon, GA. I agree that it was a mistake in transcription.

Thanks for your suggestions that led me down the correct path!

Back