Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg?

MRB1863

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
1. Describe the location of this site
2. Who owned this land during the war?
3. What Unit suffered heavy casualties here?
4. Who commanded that Unit?
DSCF0121.JPG

It's the 8th NY Cav monument (only took me an hour on Stone Sentinels to figure that out) on Buford Ave, near the Mummasburg Rd.

I'm not very good on my Gettysburg property lines, but guessing by the Bachelder map, I'd say that's on the Forney Farm.

Which means that you're looking for Iverson's Brigade of Rodes' Division, Second Corps for the unit that took heavy casualties.

It's the 8th NY Cav monument (only took me an hour on Stone Sentinels to figure that out) on Buford Ave, near the Mummasburg Rd.

I'm not very good on my Gettysburg property lines, but guessing by the Bachelder map, I'd say that's on the Forney Farm.

Which means that you're looking for Iverson's Brigade of Rodes' Division, Second Corps for the unit that took heavy casualties.
Close, but I think it is the 9th New York Cavalry.

8th New York

8th New York
Interesting optical illusion - from the front the monument has a flat top and from the rear it's pointed. Either that, or someone attached a photograph of the back of the 9th New York Cavalry monument to the find-a-grave page for the 8th New York Cavalry.

@JeffFromSyracuse is not the only one to confuse the two.

Last edited:
I believe this was part of the 150 acre John Forney Farm. The buildings are now gone, but were located a bit farther north or to the right of the border of the photo (near where the 17th PA Cavalry Monument stands today). The buildings were razed before the dedication of the Peace Light, apparently because they were in deplorable condition.
Forney Farmhouse.jpeg

Forney Barn.jpeg

The heavy casualties in this area occurred later on the first day, long after the 9th NY Cavalry (which did much of its fighting north and east of the location depicted here) had departed. This appears to be the area of the southern or right end of the attack formation of Brigadier General Alfred Iverson's Brigade. One report of the total casualties for the brigade is 903 out of 1,384 (65%).

Interesting optical illusion - from the front the monument has a flat top and from the rear it's pointed. Either that, or someone attached a photograph of the back of the 9th New York Cavalry monument to the find-a-grave page for the 8th New York Cavalry.
I see that. Very odd.

I believe this was part of the 150 acre John Forney Farm. The buildings are now gone, but were located a bit farther north or to the right of the border of the photo (near where the 17th PA Cavalry Monument stands today). The buildings were razed before the dedication of the Peace Light, apparently because they were in deplorable condition.
View attachment 392183
View attachment 392184

The heavy casualties in this area occurred later on the first day, long after the 9th NY Cavalry (which did much of its fighting north and east of the location depicted here) had departed. This appears to be the area of the southern or right end of the attack formation of Brigadier General Alfred Iverson's Brigade. One report of the total casualties for the brigade is 903 out of 1,384 (65%).
Really like seeing photo, such as these, that do not routinely show in most GB literature!

Thanks!

T

@JeffFromSyracuse is not the only one to confuse the two.
Yeah, you’re right; the photo of the pointed monument in the find a grave description of the 8th does seem to be the 9th.

Back