Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg?

MRB1863

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Identify this site on the Gettysburg Battlefield...
DSCF3786 88th pa.jpg

Identify this site on the Gettysburg Battlefield...
View attachment 307079
MRB, this thread needs to allow for viewers to "play" along - last time I joined in agreeing as to the identity of the object and its location and felt like I was being criticized for doing so! ("It's ALREADY been ID'd.") Something along @ami's manner of replying to trivia questions that would allow more of us who are at least somewhat familiar with the battlefield to "play along" if we choose, and not just the first couple who happen to see it and get it right, as has happened here. (I too thought of Iverson's Pits but now there's no reason to say so.)

MRB, this thread needs to allow for viewers to "play" along - last time I joined in agreeing as to the identity of the object and its location and felt like I was being criticized for doing so! ("It's ALREADY been ID'd.") Something along @ami's manner of replying to trivia questions that would allow more of us who are at least somewhat familiar with the battlefield to "play along" if we choose, and not just the first couple who happen to see it and get it right, as has happened here. (I too thought of Iverson's Pits but now there's no reason to say so.)
My apologies for the crossed signals! Of course, I value each and every response....sorry the wording may have made you feel ousted, as it was not intended to offend in any way. I hope to see your comments in weeks to come. Thank you for bringing this to light.

My apologies for the crossed signals! Of course, I value each and every response....sorry the wording may have made you feel ousted, as it was not intended to offend in any way. I hope to see your comments in weeks to come. Thank you for bringing this to light.
That's immaterial - my point is that this needs to be more of a GAME in some way; since it has the attributes of one, maybe it could somehow have the mechanics of one too.

Yes, it is near Iverson's Pits.
This solitary marker indicates where long trenches were dug for the bodies of Iverson's Brigade. Erected by the 88th PA of the 1st Corps, it states they "Charged to this point, capturing 2 battle flags and a number of prisoners" The prisoners were few -- rifled muskets are deadly accurate at 80 yards -- that any survived uninjured was a miracle. (Source: http://www.spiritsocietyofpa.com/IPITS.html ) Interesting article at source.

The 88th Pennsylvania was the only Union regiment in the vicinity to be at least partially armed with .69 smoothbore (buck and ball) weapons. That fact allow us to narrow down how Private W. J. O'Daniel of Company H, 23rd North Carolina wound up with buck shot in his left cheek, although according to my calculations, the 23rd North Carolina was to the left front of the 88th Pennsylvania when it came under fire just after 2 p.m. on July 1.

I agree with James N.'s suggestion of replicating the Trivia game. Post the question on Wednesday and let people answer blindly for two days, then publish the thread on Friday ( or whatever days you chose). I was traveling today so I just now saw the post after the answer was provided ( I know that monument very well). So I didn't have a chance to answer. For those that get it correct, they get one big Gettysburg attaboy! BTW, I love reading Tom's comments on the subject.

Here is the photo I took when you graciously took me with you on that first evening at the CWT event in 2016. Good memories!

View attachment 307589

Greetings Peter,

Yes I to remember us all there, talking, and listening to the ruffle of the leaves and cornstalks. What a great photo you captured that evening. It was a lot of fun and enjoyment with us all sharing that time. I think of it often. I hope you are doing well my friend.

Respectfully
William

One Nation,
Two countries

Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

Back