Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg? 4/7/21

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
1.png

Good morning, all! Here is this week’s Where is it Wednesday mystery photo. This one is NOT a historic photo, but one that can be found on the battlefield today.

What is this a photo of, and more specifically, where is it located on the battlefield?

To give everyone a change to think this over, please don’t post an answer until after noon today. There are a couple clues in the photo, so look closely. Good luck, and I’ll post the answer on Saturday.

P.S. Feel lucky—my other choice for a pic this week was a rock! 😂

B891DFF5-4E16-40C5-B5CB-65B048B65329.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be an early USDI NPS boundary marker for when they took the battlefield over from the War Department. They had a disc on top like this one. Perhaps the disc was intentionally blurred so we can't read it. If it is, I have no idea where this one is located.

I can make out a few letters on the disc but not enough for a word. It does look like a boundary marker. I wonder if it has anything to do with the electric railway. The tree looks to me like cedar but I’m not an expert.

At the moment I’m thinking of the CCC, only because this marker has deteriorated in the same way that the posts in the post and pipe fencing do. Still couldn’t say what, couldn’t say where.
I wonder too if the closeness of the tree and marker is accidental or intentional.

So far so good. This IS a boundary marker, and it’s found in an area that is not visited as often by people, south of the main battlefield. There are several variations of boundary markers, depending on the time period.

So far so good. This IS a boundary marker, and it’s found in an area that is not visited as often by people, south of the main battlefield. There are several variations of boundary markers, depending on the time period.
Based on "not visited often by people, south of the main battlefield" my guess would be a marker at Neill Ave.

I’m thinking possibly south cavalry field, but don’t know why a boundary marker or where in that area it might be🤔

Ok, here is another location guess. If I make enough guesses, I may get it right. Weikert Hill, east of Sedgewick Ave (the area where the old railroad bed used to be).

Back