Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg? 11/10

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
Here‘s the next mystery pic for Where is it Wednesday!

This object is an early part of the Gettysburg campaign. Good luck!

Special note: if you attended one of Eric Wittenberg’s most recent tours, and you know the answer, please hold off a bit in answering to allow others to think about it! Thanks!

D4588D7C-14FA-42F8-9DE3-A863A85BDE6E.jpeg

I really have no idea. At first glance it appears to be a low structure filled in with dirt, like a well. However, the corners of the photo show vehicles in a parking lot revealing that the structure is actually fairly tall or on the side of a hill. I am utterly stumped, but thought I would add what I noticed about the vehicles in the hope that it is useful to somebody else.

(Jacob Hoke Historical Reminiscences of the War, Chambersburg, PA: M. A. Foltz, Printer and Publisher, 1884, p. 53)

The Caledonia Iron Works belonging to Hon. Thaddeus Stevens consisted of a large charcoal furnace, forge, rolling mill, coal house, shops, stable, etc. … John Sweeney, Steven's business manager, recalled: On Tuesday, 16 [June 1863], while [Brig. Gen.] Jenkins occupied Chambersburg, one of his marauding parties visited the iron works, left with 40 horses and mules, with gears, etc. They nearly captured Stevens himself, who was then on a visit, and who [unwillingly departed for] Shippensburg. On June 23, the advance of Early's division reached Caledonia Iron Works. Early told Sweeney that Stevens "was an enemy of the South, in favor of confiscating their property and arming their negroes, and the property must be destroyed." Early placed a guard around it and returned to his headquarters at Greenwood. He returned the next day and personally gave the order to Col. [William H.] French [commanding 17th Virginia Cavalry] to apply the torch. Stevens' loss was estimated at about $50,000.

Back