Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg? 10/13

@JFW22, I’m glad you “ran with it” and participated! Don’t worry about any confusion! But don’t assume I was feeling the need to explain anything—my partner in these threads, @MRB1863, had been using rocks as his mystery pics, and I switched it up this week to something other than rocks. If I am more wordy than my partner, it’s just me, not an explanation, although sometimes there are clues in what I say. 🙂

As far as difficulty, I think this one is a 6 out of 10. I want to stump people, but mostly, it’s a chance to learn some things about the battlefield and share what some of us know with others. I’m seeing that with this thread. I can do harder, but harder doesn’t always accomplish what I’m hoping it will for learning, and of course, the “thrill of the hunt.” Thanks again for giving it a go!

Pam
Thanks Pam, I appreciate it. I agree that this and the trivia thread get people thinking and digging through resources which only makes you learn more. It really is the "thrill of the hunt", but very humbling. I went down the that rabbit hole researching one of the trivia questions the other day and lost a couple of hours, but it was so satisfying when I found the answer which only opened up to the full story.

I probably have been to Gettysburg more than any other battlefield over the years, but watching this thread, I realize how much I really wasn't paying attention to many of the details ☹️. Thats something I will remedy not only at Gettysburg, but at all sites I visit going forward. Its so easy to lock in on the big shiny objects, and over look some of the details that make it unique. (at least for me).

I appreciate the warm welcome, I don't know how many I will be answering but I will be paying attention to tide me over til my next trip to Gettysburg.
Jim

I appreciate the warm welcome, I don't know how many I will be answering but I will be paying attention to tide me over til my next trip to Gettysburg.
I cant answer any of these. I text them to a local buddy who takes tour groups to Gettysburg to sharpen his knowledge.
And if you are like me, this wont be the last time you post a great answer but for the wrong question. I just go “Oops!” and keep posting.

Jim
Thank you for participating and your interest, especially in Gettysburg! Perhaps these small views of Gettysburg will give you something new to look for on your next visit.

Thank you for participating and your interest, especially in Gettysburg! Perhaps these small views of Gettysburg will give you something new to look for on your next visit.
No thank you! What you're doing is a great service. It gets the wheels turning, which I know I need and I am sure many others appreciate it.
I have a soft spot for Gettysburg, my grandparents took me there a few time as a kid and I was in awe. Its what got my love of history started. I am fortunate now that my daughter lives in Manheim, PA and coming from VA Beach, sometimes our route takes us right past on rt 15 ( sometimes I make sure it takes me by there too lol). I slowly started easing my wife, Judy into stopping for quick visits ( she had visited Gettysburg on school trips growing up) and before long we were building in over night stops into the visits to see my daughter and grandkids.
Your thread does inspire me to open my mind to more on future trips. Thanks again, hope we have a chance to meet up on one of the trips up that way.
Cheers,
Jim

I cant answer any of these. I text them to a local buddy who takes tour groups to Gettysburg to sharpen his knowledge.
And if you are like me, this wont be the last time you post a great answer but for the wrong question. I just go “Oops!” and keep posting.
Thanks Steve, yeah I haven't had much luck with them either. What kills me even more was that I gave James N. the opening to crush me on the "Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg?" comment HAHAHA he's so **** smart and doesn't miss a trick, I didn't want to look dumb in his eyes. lol Things like that usually don't get to me, but him pointing that out made me feel like a kid in school who blurted out the wrong answer 🤣. James, if you read this don't take it personal, I know I only had the honor of meeting you this weekend, but I truly respect and am in awe of your vast knowledge and willingness to share it. I didn't want to look bad in your eyes.
All you folks are incredible, I just find it refreshing to learn new things daily from everyone and this site.
Enough of all this mushy snowflake stuff... Where is the next picture LOL

Jim

Is it over on Wainwright Avenue near Menchey's Spring? Once, I came within milliseconds of getting hit on the head by, if not one of those fruit, then something that looked a lot like it while walking under the trees there. It fell right in front of my face and hit the top of my foot while I was taking a step.
Are you SURE it wasn't one of those d*mn black walnuts, which seem to be EVERYWHERE this time of year at Gettysburg? We were disturbed much of the night we spent at Battlefield B&B there by hearing them constantly falling and drumming on the roof, sounding like so many artillery solid shot overshots!

Yes, they are falling on the Gettysburg battlefield, too! Last week when I was there, I dodged a few, but my car got hit by one so hard on the roof that it left a dent! Dangerous time of the year! 😂
db4f127260ed7f3a4991ceccd1b382c3.jpg

Hazardous too!!! :wink:

db4f127260ed7f3a4991ceccd1b382c3-jpg.jpg

Good to see this still from Gettysburg - in addition to the actor and the too old, overweight Santa Claus-looking Reb sergeant the officer at right is my friend James Permaine of Florida with whom I worked on Glory, Ironclads, Last Of The Mohicans, and Alamo - The Price Of Freedom.

Thanks Pam, I appreciate it. I agree that this and the trivia thread get people thinking and digging through resources which only makes you learn more. It really is the "thrill of the hunt", but very humbling. I went down the that rabbit hole researching one of the trivia questions the other day and lost a couple of hours, but it was so satisfying when I found the answer which only opened up to the full story.

I probably have been to Gettysburg more than any other battlefield over the years, but watching this thread, I realize how much I really wasn't paying attention to many of the details ☹️. Thats something I will remedy not only at Gettysburg, but at all sites I visit going forward. Its so easy to lock in on the big shiny objects, and over look some of the details that make it unique. (at least for me).

Jim
@JFW22, I’ve been to Gettysburg dozens of times over the last 20 years, and I STILL find myself going down the rabbit hole like you mentioned! I used to think I knew a lot, but now I know that there is no such animal when it comes to the battlefield and the battle. I’m still learning, after all these years, thanks to my own reading, tours with those historians who definitely know more than I do like @Eric Wittenberg, and folks in groups like this one. I guess it’s the retired teacher in me—never stop learning!

P.S. I forgot to mention—welcome aboard!!

Are you SURE it wasn't one of those d*mn black walnuts, which seem to be EVERYWHERE this time of year at Gettysburg? We were disturbed much of the night we spent at Battlefield B&B there by hearing them constantly falling and drumming on the roof, sounding like so many artillery solid shot overshots!
It sure could have been. I have much a much more vivid memory of being surprised by this thing falling in front of me than I do of the actual object. I do remember it was green, though!

James N., I’m missing seeing you! Next time you get to Gettysburg, let me know!!🙂

While @MRB1863 has been posting rocks to stump you, I thought I’d go a little different natural route this week. So . . .

What is this, and where is it located on the battlefield? Be specific!
Are you sure there is only ONE bois d’arc tree growing on the Gettysburg Park?

That’s the hard part of creating test questions: your question may is too general such that there are more than one answer.

Now, I was in GB, in the Peach Orchard, on this past Wednesday, on a tour put on by a guide from the Army War College. I did not see any Osage Orange trees, though I was not looking for any, plus we had to get back on our bus, as the NPS was chasing some rascal, on foot, through the battlefield.

@JFW22, I’ve been to Gettysburg dozens of times over the last 20 years, and I STILL find myself going down the rabbit hole like you mentioned! I used to think I knew a lot, but now I know that there is no such animal when it comes to the battlefield and the battle. I’m still learning, after all these years, thanks to my own reading, tours with those historians who definitely know more than I do like @Eric Wittenberg, and folks in groups like this one. I guess it’s the retired teacher in me—never stop learning!

P.S. I forgot to mention—welcome aboard!!
Thank you! I agree, it doesn't matter how old you get its always a good day when you can learn something new.

Now, I was in GB, in the Peach Orchard, on this past Wednesday, on a tour put on by a guide from the Army War College. I did not see any Osage Orange trees, though I was not looking for any, plus we had to get back on our bus, as the NPS was chasing some rascal, on foot, through the battlefield.
Any idea why they were chasing him?

Back