Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg? 10/13

View attachment 418356

Good to see this still from Gettysburg - in addition to the actor and the too old, overweight Santa Claus-looking Reb sergeant the officer at right is my friend James Permaine of Florida with whom I worked on Glory, Ironclads, Last Of The Mohicans, and Alamo - The Price Of Freedom.
way cool!!!! May I suggest that you have him join and you and him share some stories of filming Gettysburg. I know I would enjoy that, as would others.

IMG_0462[1].jpg

James N., I’m missing seeing you! Next time you get to Gettysburg, let me know!!🙂
Too bad I didn't receive the invitation sooner, Pam - Mike and I just spent three days there before going to Antietam! We stayed again at Battlefield B&B, hit Fairfield where we ate at Mansion House, and on the battlefield visited Culp's Hill, LRT, and Cemetery Hill. Also, I spent WAYYY too much money at The Horse Soldier and the toy soldier shop across Steinwehr Ave.

IMG_0412[1].jpg

way cool!!!! May I suggest that you have him join and you and him share some stories of filming Gettysburg. I know I would enjoy that, as would others.
Unfortunately I haven't seen James since Last Of The Mohicans in 1991; he's the drummer at far left:
LOTM reenactors.jpg

As we’ve all deduced, this pic is of the Osage orange tree in the Trostle farm yard.

There are a few of these trees around the battlefield—the Trostle yard, across the road in the Trostle thicket next to Plum Run, and a line of old trees to the left for the Hancock wounding marker that are a part of the fence line, which, based on all the great info folks here gave about them, was their original purpose. However, I haven’t read in any soldier accounts of the battle about their seeing and having to get by Osage orange bushes/trees—and considering the trees have WICKED thorns, I would think soldiers would’ve mentioned that.

Thanks again for playing!

Pam

Are you SURE it wasn't one of those d*mn black walnuts, which seem to be EVERYWHERE this time of year at Gettysburg? We were disturbed much of the night we spent at Battlefield B&B there by hearing them constantly falling and drumming on the roof, sounding like so many artillery solid shot overshots!
To bring this in for a landing, I went over to Gettysburg today, and made my way over to Wainwright Ave/Menchey's Spring. After careful study of the black walnuts still hanging in the trees, and the black walnuts strewn all over the ground beneath the trees, I think it is safe to say that it was indeed a black walnut fruit that nearly brained me that day. Enjoy a good night's sleep tonight, everyone! 🙂

Back