Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg? 1/6/21

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
Hello folks! Here is the mystery photo from the battlefield for this week! This one is taken on a particular area of the field that is also a land feature, one that most people drive by but probably don’t know has a name. It is close to another pretty well-known land feature of the same kind.

Where is this located on the battlefield, and what is the name it goes by on maps? Good luck! Correct answer on Saturday, but clues as needed. 🙂

3781A806-B006-4F84-AEF5-4312F6B24078.jpeg

NW corner of Sedgwick Ave & Wheatfield Road. I believe that's the 5th Maine monument that can be seen in that top left of the photo. No idea what this particular area is named though other than the Round Top area.
The location you describe is certainly consistent with the clues. If you are correct, it is called Munschauer Hill. However, I'm not sure that the thing that can be seen in the upper left of the photo is the 5th Maine Infantry Monument. It just doesn't look quite right. The item in the photo seems to spread sideways, while the 5th Maine Monument is taller than it is wide.

However, I'm not sure that the thing that can be seen in the upper left of the photo is the 5th Maine Infantry Monument. It just doesn't look quite right. The item in the photo seems to spread sideways, while the 5th Maine Monument is taller than it is wide.
I don't think you can see the actual base given the growth around it in this particular photo but I'm fairly certain that's the location of that monument. Could also just be the angle at which the photo is taken as it is slightly downhill from Sedgwick Ave. which would be where the photographer was standing.

Well, you know what THAT means for next week. 😂

P.S. Yes, the location is Munshower Hill. Congrats @NFB22!! D a m n Google Earth!!🙄

I'm such a Gettysburg geek that I have covered the battlefield with many 360 degree video panoramas. My collection is over 300 videos at this time. I am relying increasingly less on Google Earth whenever I want to see parts of the battlefield.

Just out of curiosity... does anyone else have a special place in their heart for this part of the battlefied? I have always been deeply drawn to the wheatfield and the area immediately surrounding it.

I believe that my GGF, William Thomas Rodgers, Co. D, 9th Alabama Infantry was shot in the right shoulder and captured in battle at the wheatfield. He was held at Fort Delaware. He enrolled for Confederate service on 18 Mar 1862 in Lauderdale County, Alabama.

Back