Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg? 1/20/21

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
Hi everyone for this week’s Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg? we’re going to try something a little different, a little more . . . historic. Yes, we’re going back in history for this week’s photo—not as far back as the battle itself, but definitely not the way today’s battlefield looks.

Some of you may have experienced this spot on the battlefield in real time. Some of you may have only heard about it. There are definitely clues in the pic that might help you figure it out, even if you are new to the battlefield. Your quest: where is this photo taken from, where would you have found it on the field, AND what clues can you spot?

Good luck, and the correct answer will be posted on Saturday!

Pam

E2FE69C2-BB27-4FC6-9F34-90EBF2713A9F.jpeg

As already posted, the old theater, that now houses General Pickett's buffet. The hotel was demolished, what, two decades ago now, when the power lines were buried?

Funny how some of this stuff just seems like yesterday, when we saw it!

I'm thinking from the lookout portion on top of the old Cyclorama building. Used to be a ramp the rose to the top, from there you had a nice field of view through that portion of the park.

The clues above are spot in. But the key question, as I understand it, is where was the photo taken from? I don't know the answer, but those bars in the foreground must be a clue. Could it be from the old Cyclorama building?

That was the key question, @cwbuff. I like all the clues from everyone, but where was the photo taken from?

Wasn't that path referred to as High Water Mark Walk? Starting in front of the cyclorama building and continuing to the Copse of Trees. I believe the photo was taken some distance to the South of the General Alexander B. Hayes statue.

John

Why isn't Cyclorama Drive in the photo or is that car on Cyclorama drive. Shouldn't that Park entrance road be in the picture? If so, the photo predates the construction of that road. The Cyclorama was built for the 1963 Centennial. I assume that Cyclorama Drive was built at that time. I don't know much about model year of cars but could the photo be as early as 1962? What is the history of that road? Another clue are those stone walls. Any trace of those would pin down almost the exact spot. Are those aluminum rods part of the cyclorama as mentioned? I'm going with 1962/3, but will reserve my final guess until after I hear from "the car buffs" and the "Gettysburg road construction buffs."

Back