Where in the Army Would You Want to Serve

Where in either army would you want to serve?

• Total voters
I'd be in the Navy, just as I was in real life; that's always been my area of interest.

I was too young for Vietnam, but if I'd been of age at that time, I'd still have been in the Navy. Anyone who knew me knew that that was my plan from childhood, but it's occurred to me that other people might have thought I was avoiding the nasty duty, and I suppose they might think that if I lived in the 1860s and opted for the Navy.

I said Quartermaster, but should have put Other cause I'm sticking to my real choice from another similar thread of Cavalry Scout/Get any info you can...guy. Union for Sherman. Rank of... oh...seargent.

I'd like to be one of those young lads who rode with Mosby. I've read a bunch of their memoirs and they sound like they had fun. They usually slept dry and warm, too. Overall they had a pretty good life expectancy, I think. Has anyone got statistics on deaths by type of service?

Definitely Cavalry. And I would want to be a first sergeant. Our reenactment group marched 32 miles in one day. I still hurt thinking about it. And, the hurry up and wait. I rode over 50 miles several times and once 70 miles in one day. It was much easier and you can always use the horse to warm up too on a very cold night. No remarks about that please. lol. Cavalry was much better if separated from the main army. But if with the main army, it would be tougher

Definitely Cavalry. And I would want to be a first sergeant. Our reenactment group marched 32 miles in one day. I still hurt thinking about it. And, the hurry up and wait. I rode over 50 miles several times and once 70 miles in one day. It was much easier and you can always use the horse to warm up too on a very cold night. No remarks about that please. lol. Cavalry was much better if separated from the main army. But if with the main army, it would be tougher
I don't know...I'm not sure my butt could take being in a saddle that long. That's why I'm glad our cattle drives were always fairly short distances, relatively speaking.

War is hell and nothing is easy but I've always thought i'd want to be in the cavalry or artillery if I was in that time and had the opportunity (...and the means) to choose. Maybe even the Navy as an option too.

Please. We all know I'm too tacky to be a fine lady. I'd be a "camp follower" with...

(hopefully) a purse full of money,
(probably) a weird and very persistent rash, and
(definitely) a heart of gold.

I am kidding. (Sorta :whistling: ) I definitely would be an excellent nurse.

Back