When Georgia Howled: Sherman on the March.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I admire General Sherman, but I will have to wait until I have a free hour.

Aussie Billy Sherman

First Sergeant
Thanks. Will definitely watch this one. There's also on YouTube a doco done by the conquerors series which was hosted dale dye. It was called March to the sea. That's also worth watching

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Is it good? Tough subject to handle if a documentary's production team wishes to find an audience, you know? He's still a swear word 150 years later in some places, pretty controversial figure.

nitrofd

Colonel
This has been on TV many times,mainly when Georgia public broadcasting put on a weekly series that ran for 37 weeks called "37 weeks of Sherman in Georgia.they did this with the Atlanta History Center and it was a week by week chronicle of the Atlanta Campaign and the March to the Sea.it was really quite good and really well done.IIRC I believe I posted about this back in 2014.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Thanks, kepi. First time ever I've watched an hour of a presentation. It was worth it.

kepi

First Sergeant
Is it good? Tough subject to handle if a documentary's production team wishes to find an audience, you know? He's still a swear word 150 years later in some places, pretty controversial figure.
Very true!
I’m fascinated about how Sherman’s reputation/image changed after the war. To this day, you won’t find many people who know Johnston and Hood befriended Sherman.
I may have to dig deeper into this.

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
I know this OP is a couple of years old, but I just had a chance to view the documentary on TV yesterday.

I thought it was really, really good!

Any criticisms out there that I should be aware of? Sherman is depicted as sort of racist prick, which surprised me.

Last edited:

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
Yes, I thought it was quite good.

I'd be interested in the opinions of folks here at CWT who are expert on the Atlanta campaign, or on Sherman's career.

Last edited: