When Free Blacks Had to Wear Badges to Show Their Racial Status in South Carolina August 1860

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
You know, been working on threads for Black History Month for days. Haven't finished a single one, this is why. It's just so hard. seeing where we were, someone dragging out the world's slowest snail to move things along. He's still around 200 miles from a destination.

Re-reading Harriet Jacobs in didn't help. Tough typing while in tears. Now badges. To walk around unimpeded.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
You know, been working on threads for Black History Month for days. Haven't finished a single one, this is why. It's just so hard. seeing where we were, someone dragging out the world's slowest snail to move things along. He's still around 200 miles from a destination.

Re-reading Harriet Jacobs in didn't help. Tough typing while in tears. Now badges. To walk around unimpeded.
I am glad you are working on Black History Month threads. I think that all the hosts should follow your example.

BlueandGrayl

First Sergeant
Then again though neither were Northern blacks treated any better than Southern ones. Even though they were "free" it was only because they weren't slaves and society wise they were impoverished.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
Then again though neither were Northern blacks treated any better than Southern ones. Even though they were "free" it was only because they weren't slaves and society wise they were impoverished.
Please post links to sources on Northern states requiring blacks to wear badges.

gary

Captain
We don't need no stink'n badges.

That said, was the badge a medallion of some sort?

byron ed

Sergeant Major
...neither were Northern blacks treated any better than Southern ones.
Uh ...we know that Northern blacks were treated a bit better than Southern blacks. It's American History 101. Northern blacks weren't regularly legally whipped or branded, forced to work for nothing, weren't forcibly separated from their families to be sold for cash. They could freely travel without permission during daylight hours.

Of course it was no picnic for blacks in the North given social discrimination, state black laws, slave catchers and the Fugitive Slave Law (of 1850), but there's no pass for attempting to equate the condition of the Southern black with the condition of the Northern black at the time. Does it even have to be pointed out?: blacks fleeing the South went North.

Last edited:

BlueandGrayl

First Sergeant
Uh ...we know that Northern blacks were treated a bit better than Southern blacks. It's American History 101. Northern blacks weren't regularly legally whipped or branded, forced to work for nothing, weren't forcibly separated from their families to be sold for cash. They could freely travel without permission during daylight hours.

Of course it was no picnic for blacks in the North given social discrimination, state black laws, slave catchers and the Fugitive Slave Law (of 1850), but there's no pass for attempting to equate the condition of the Southern black with the condition of the Northern black at the time. Does it even have to be pointed out?: blacks fleeing the South went North.
I understand this, yes there wasn't any of that per se but still conditions weren't ideal. I mean even with the move of blacks to Northern cities like Chicago, Detroit, Omaha, New York City etc there were race riots as well.

Last edited:
I understand this, yes there wasn't any of that per se but still conditions weren't ideal. I mean even with the move of blacks to Northern cities like Chicago, Detroit, Omaha, New York City etc there were race riots as well.
in my book not ideal beats being owned and sold any day

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Yet there were far more lynchings in the South than there ever were race riots in the North.
Edited.

Yes, smoke and mirrors. It's nice distraction though. The ' They did it too ' tends to send everyone down rabbit holes. Worst feature is resultant the bruahaha prevents being able to look at this country's ridiculous relationship with the entire topic with any degree of accuracy.