When Did George Thomas Acquire "Billy" the Horse?

JeffBrooks

2nd Lieutenant
I read that George Thomas's favorite horse during the Civil War was "Billy", named after William Tecumseh Sherman. When and how did he acquire Billy, and does anyone have details about what kind of horse it was and what he/she looked like?

I read that George Thomas's favorite horse during the Civil War was "Billy", named after William Tecumseh Sherman. When and how did he acquire Billy, and does anyone have details about what kind of horse it was and what he/she looked like?
Probably a Tennessee Walker.

Thomas' "Billy" is mentioned in passing a few times in the "Four Footed Friends" sub-forum, and i have heard him mentioned elsewhere. But, never with any detail. Does anyone have a Thomas biography at hand? Perhaps the horse's origin is told there.

I am researching on Billy, General Thomas's horse. It is written Thomas had two horses. They were both very powerful and large. They were bays. Billy, the horse named for Sherman, was darker of the two He was about sixteen hands high and stout in built. He was very steady and deliberate in step. He was never disturbed by shells or gunfire.

I have yet to find breed or how Thomas obtained him. Will keep looking.

Last edited:
Back