When Anti-Asian Violence Rose Frederick Douglass Spoke Out

Well, you can accuse me of what you want and call me what you choose--you are entitled to your own opinions. But, as the expression goes, not to your own facts.

Quoting Dr. Debra Michals (National Women's History Museum:
Her devotion to women’s rights did not deter her from fighting for an end to slavery. She and her husband protested the passage of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 and helped an enslaved person escape bondage a few years later. In 1866, Mott became the first president of the American Equal Rights Association. Mott joined with Stanton and Anthony in decrying the 14th​ and 15th​ amendments to the Constitution for granting the vote to black men but not to women. Mott was also involved with efforts to establish Swarthmore College and was instrumental in ensuring it was coeducational. Dedicated to all forms of human freedom, Mott argued as ardently for women’s rights as for black rights, including suffrage, education, and economic aid. Mott played a major role in the woman suffrage movement through her life.

When did she oppose women's rights? In the "Declaration of Sentiments"? As president the American Equal Rights Association?
Your reply is the best fact I can offer for my assertion that you and Mr. Young are guilty of historical reductionism. I ask Mr. Young for references to Douglass' use of the term "Anglo-Saxon"; in response, I am offered a modern academic article that contains a single quotation buried in among completely modern references that have no basis in primary sources. I point out - again - that Douglass was far too intelligent and ambitious and fundamentally optimistic about the future for his country to use a term whose only purpose was to insult people with white skin
With regard to the Motts, I point out that they opposed Stanton at Seneca Falls and Douglass agreed with Stanton. Neither fact is disputable. In response, I get yet another modern academic article full of the very reductionism I am criticizing. The Motts were infamous as the people who always found a way to demand the perfect so that it could defeat the good. Their AERA opposed adoption of the 15th Amendment because it did not include sex, only race. That caused a permanent split with Douglass and Lucy Stone and (later) Julia Ward Howe, who did actually achieve some political success through the American Women Suffrage Association. What Douglass quickly learned about "equality" politics was that it was always going to be about beating people up with moral superiority instead of changing how life was actually lived. The Motts could go off to Swarthmore and be comfortably self-righteous; Douglass would struggle to establish regular steamship connections between the United States and Haiti.

Your reply is the best fact I can offer for my assertion that you and Mr. Young are guilty of historical reductionism.
Mr. Young had nothing to say about Lucretia Mott--leave him out of this.

With regard to the Motts, I point out that they opposed Stanton at Seneca Falls and Douglass agreed with Stanton.
The women's movement didn't walk in lock step and there are at least three strains that have been recognized. But I've never seen any major controversy between these people at Seneca Falls. Certainly there was debate over provisions of the Declaration of Sentiments but nothing to rise to the level of the major split you are suggesting. The statement that Lucretia Mott opposed women's rights is astounding and I can only assume that you've been reading something by Phyllis Schlafly ☺️ . It just isn't true.

Frederick Douglass is one of the people whom I admire most: he stood for the rights of all down-trodden, regardless of race and sex. He also had a good sense of humor which he used as a weapon--to defuse emotion and to further his own humanity.

On of my favorite stories was published shortly after his death and has been republished several times thereafter. Apparently, on one of his many trips to Maine, his address was dismissed by a Maine journalist who advised readers to disregard anything that Frederick Douglass had said--that he (Douglass) was a white man! I think that the journalist must have confused Frederick Douglass and Stephen Douglas. This amused Mr. Douglass greatly and, in 1873, he began an address at the Parker House in Boston with: "We Anglo-Saxons..." -- to which he added "I see there is some smiling at my placing myself so conspicuously among the Anglo-Saxon race but I do it on the best copperhead authority"!

Frederick Douglass is one of the people whom I admire most: he stood for the rights of all down-trodden, regardless of race and sex. He also had a good sense of humor which he used as a weapon--to defuse emotion and to further his own humanity.

On of my favorite stories was published shortly after his death and has been republished several times thereafter. Apparently, on one of his many trips to Maine, his address was dismissed by a Maine journalist who advised readers to disregard anything that Frederick Douglass had said--that he (Douglass) was a white man! I think that the journalist must have confused Frederick Douglass and Stephen Douglas. This amused Mr. Douglass greatly and, in 1873, he began an address at the Parker House in Boston with: "We Anglo-Saxons..." -- to which he added "I see there is some smiling at my placing myself so conspicuously among the Anglo-Saxon race but I do it on the best copperhead authority"!
Ha ha.

Back